Sunday, December 1, 2019

The Lamb Is The Light!

Today is the first day of Advent.  The word advent means coming of something and in this case, means the coming of Christmas and the celebration of the birth of Christ. In many churches, the theme will be Hope!  And there are many scripture verses that refer to hope.  I like Isaiah 40 verses 28-31

28 Do you not know?
    Have you not heard?
The Lord is the everlasting God,
    the Creator of the ends of the earth.
He will not grow tired or weary,
    and his understanding no one can fathom.
29 He gives strength to the weary
    and increases the power of the weak.
30 Even youths grow tired and weary,
    and young men stumble and fall;
31 but those who hope in the Lord
    will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles;
    they will run and not grow weary,
    they will walk and not be faint.
Isaiah 40:28-31

Romans 15:4 English Standard Version (ESV)

For whatever was written in former days was written for our instruction, that through endurance and through the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope.

As I read the last verse from Romans it made me remember a time when I met a hopeless woman.  In order to pick up some extra money for the family, I would sometimes pick up odd jobs.  One year a paper route came open around our neighborhood.  I would walk it every morning at 4:00 am so that those folks sleeping in the house could have their newspaper as soon as they awakened.  Believe it or not, I enjoyed the solitude of that time of the morning.  I would use it to pray for my family and even pray for each family asleep in those houses as I wrapped their paper tightly and put it in their mailbox.

I loved it when it snowed and it seemed like I was the only one awake to see it.  I probably was!  My footprints were the first to stir the beautiful display as it stretched out before me on those winter mornings.

It was around Christmas and one by one each house would display their decorations.  Back in those days we still collected for the paper door to door and those who were asleep when I came to their houses were now awake and full of Christmas greetings.  As I knocked on each door, I was usually asked in to get out of the cold and there stood the beautiful lights and shiny ornaments that lit up the room.  This was a happy time for even the "paper girl".

One house on my route was always dark and the lady would peek out of a crack in the door to pay me.  One day I wished her a Merry Christmas and enquired about her plans for Christmas day.  This poor lady began to tell me about her lack of a celebratory spirit.  She had no reason to celebrate according to her.  Her husband had passed away, she had no children and there seemed to be a profound sadness in her voice.  It was not only her house but her soul.  She had no hope!  For the rest of the season as I passed the lonely dark house, I prayed for this one who did not know the reason we celebrate this time of the year.  She did not know Jesus the hope giver.  The babe in the manger would grow to be a man and die for us so we could have hope.  I can't help but think if this dear one could have met him a great light would have shined into her lonely dark world.

A dear friend lost his father a few days ago but they though saddened, were celebrating his home going. Unlike the dear lady on my route, this man had abundant hope!  The bible says there is no need for light in heaven because Jesus is the light.  

And the city has no need of sun or moon, for the glory of God illuminates the city and the Lamb is its light.  Revelation 21:23

That kind of light cannot be bought on the Christmas aisle at Walmart!

The Lamb is the Light!  Hallelujah!



No comments:

Post a Comment