Wednesday, December 4, 2019

Do You Hear What I Hear?

How well do you hear?  If you are "older" like me you may miss some things that are said, but my husband Larry has had a hearing deficit for a long time.  Many years ago he was told that he had nerve damage and hearing aids would not help him, but yesterday he received hearing aids and a different man came out of that office than went in.  He even stopped to say to a strange woman sitting in the waiting area, "I can hear"!  All the way out he just kept saying, "I can hear"!  He started the car and heard sounds he had not heard before, like the beep when you back up and the turn signals blinking.  He could hear me whisper to him, which brought a broad smile to his face.  His eyes filled with tears as each new sound came to him.  He was like a child unwrapping presents on Christmas morning.  All the while I watched him as he discovered his new world I thought how the Lord must be smiling too.  In Psalm 116 it says God bends down to listen to us.

When talking to our grandson Garrick about it, Garrick recalled the story of our old piano.  I wanted a piano for the girls to take lessons.  Larry found some man he worked with had one for free but there was only one problem, according to Larry, the keys on one end didn't work.  The high notes were out of his range of hearing.  It has been a family joke ever since.  Hearing this conversation, I went over to the piano and hit those notes and his eyes lit up because he could finally hear them.

Sometimes as we try to hear God, His voice is out of our range of hearing because of the background noise.  We can barely make out the notes of His sweet songs to us.  We forget even what it sounds like. Let us put on our spiritual hearing aids and again hear his voice.

Said the little lamb to the shepherd boy
Do you hear what I hear
Ringing through the sky shepherd boy
Do you hear what I hear
A song, a song
High above the trees
With a voice as big as the sea
With a voice as big as the sea
Said the king to the people everywhere
Listen to what I say
Pray for peace people everywhere
Listen to what I say
The child, the child
Sleeping in the night
He will bring us goodness and light
He will bring us goodness and light
He will bring us goodness and light

This Christmas may we hear the sweet voice of God even in the midst of the noise!

Angels We Have Heard On High!
Sweetly Singing O'er the Plains!


No comments:

Post a Comment