Sunday, December 22, 2019

Is It Christmas Yet?

This Christmas has been different for us this year!  We packed our clothes, locked our house and left our Christmas adorned home to come to San Diego, CA for our grandson’s graduation and to spend Christmas here with my daughter and her family!  What a change!  Palm trees instead of pine trees, temperatures in the 70s instead of the crisp 9 degrees we left a few days ago.  I drank my coffee on their deck as the bright sun threatened to give me a bit of a suntan.  Oh, how I enjoyed myself as we took a long walk and seen a beautiful view of the ocean and feel the power and presence of its creator.  .  It made me praise God for his beautiful creation and remember afresh His powerful answer to prayer we had just received.  But my daughter asked me a question that I have been pondering.  She asked if it seemed like Christmas since I was here.  A beautiful Christmas tree stands their living room, garland drapes their mantle and houses in their neighborhood are decked in lights just as at home but Christmas seemed far off.  But then again it does every year until I settled down and read from Luke 2 to get the real meaning of Christmas.

In this reading I see no pine trees or snow or even palm trees draped in lights.  I see no Christmas trees with gleaming ornaments or brightly wrapped gifts under the branches.  Even though I love these things, I see a babe wrapped in cloth laying in a feed trough.  I rejoice with the shepherds as the glory of the Lord shone round them.  Even as they were scared to death the angel said don’t be afraid because I bring you good news.  My mind cannot imagine this.  The angels were singing and praising God saying,
Glory to God in the highest heaven and on earth peace to those whom his favor rest!

Shortly we will go home to frigid Illinois, take down our Christmas decorations and put them in boxes until next year but I will keep Luke 2 always in my heart!

Silent night
Holy night

Christ the Savior is born!
Christ the Savior is born!

Yes, Kelly, it is Christmas here!

No comments:

Post a Comment