Thursday, December 12, 2019

Chosen

I am chosen and highly favored by my God who loves me and gave His life for me.

There were three times when I was in grade school that I just wanted to disappear.  One was when two people would stand before the class and pick their team for whatever sport we were playing.  I would wait for my name to be called but it never was until there was no one else left and then someone would have to take me.  Another time that was hard on me was after summer vacation when the teacher would go around the room and ask what you had done on your summer vacation.  Because we never went on vacation, as many of my peers, I once lied and said we went blackberry hunting because I had just heard that in a story we had just read.  The third was when we would all be asked what we received for Christmas.  Since our Christmas gifts were rather meager I usually said nothing.


I read a story today about a boy who was overlooked but later became a king!  In the book of
1 Samuel, we read about the prophet, who on instructions from the Lord, went to find and anoint the next king of the Jewish people.  He was directed to the house of Jesse in Bethlehem.  Jesse brought out his seven sons and upon meeting each one, Samuel rejected them as God repeatedly said "No this is not the one", he then asked if there was any more.  Jesse, who had evidently forgotten his younger son who was tending sheep called this young man David in to meet Samuel.  God said "Rise and anoint him", and Samuel anointed David as the next king.  Who would have thought that this teenager could be the king?  No one called him to be on their team, he had nothing to report when asked about his summer vacation and I'm sure if he would have had to report on how many gifts he had received he would have had to bow his head and report none. David did become the king, but God brought another King, a Savior, from the line of David.  He was even born in the town of David, Bethlehem. His name is Jesus and He was born and was laid in a manger in a dark dreary stable. Angels sang from the heavens about his birth.  Wise men brought him gifts as the story goes.  He grew to be a man and died on a cross for our sins.  The bible says he is the King of Kings and Lord of Lords!  But it all started with a shepherd boy named David who was rejected by many but was chosen by God!

Jesus said,.... but I have chosen you out of the world!

I am chosen and highly favored by my God who loves me and gave His life for me.






No comments:

Post a Comment