Friday, August 21, 2015

The Weeping Prophet

When I was pregnant with one of my children, I was a crying, harmonal mess. I cried over everything , the wonders of pregnancy, a beautiful flower or "The Price is Right" a game show on TV at that time. Tears would flow over something bad as well as something good.


Back in those days people did not know if they were having a boy or girl but I was sure this one, after having all girls, would be a boy. Because of my "weeping", I had laughingly considered naming him Jeremiah after the Weeping Prophet. I don't think I even knew the story of this weepy man but I had heard him refered to as the "Weeping prophet". If you might wonder why Jeremiah was such a cryer, it was because of the destruction of Jerusalem. He cried as he walked through the ruins of that once great city of God. In The Book of Lamentations, we read Jeremiah's poetic account.


When I looked up lament in the dictionary, I found it meant "a passionate expression of grief or sorrow , wailing, moaning crying sobbing and weeping". If you are looking for something uplifting to read in the bible Lamentations would probably not be the one you should read. But buried in this book of poetic misery, is a three letter word that makes all the difference.....YET!


Yet...this I call to mind and therefore I have hope: Because of the LORD'S great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. I say to myself, "The LORD is my portion; therefore I will wait for him." Lamentations 3:21-24


I would not have found these beautiful verses in this very dark book, if it had not been for someone very dear to me, showing them to me after a very difficult time in her own life. Are you lamenting? Have you gotten to the end of yourself and feel there is no hope or that God does not care about your grief? Read these scriptures again and believe that even in the darkest of times, the LORD'S compassion is new everyday.


Yet, even our weeping prophet, Jeremiah, found hope!

By the way, I didn't have a boy it was another girl and I cried as I met my little sweetheart!

No comments:

Post a Comment