Thursday, August 20, 2015

His Name

Thomas.....M.....Tyson the speaker from the podium announced in choppy, military fashion. I will never forget how we waited for his name to be called and how proud we were when we heard it.

At this, my dad, already frail from lung disease, rose to his feet. He was soon accompanied by a young soldier in his dress uniform and white gloves who stood respectfully in front of him. The young man raised his gloved hand to salute this old soldier who dutifully fought in World War 11 and on this occasion was being honored as a POW. Again the soldier's hand raised to salute this man who spent twenty six months in a POW camp.

I thought of this scene when I began to sing the chorus to the familiar song about the Lord's name, "Oh Lord, our Lord how majestic is your name in all the earth". How majestic is his name! Can you feel the power in this phrase? As I thought about this song, I looked up the scripture and found it in Psalm 8:1. Oh, Lord, our Lord how majestic is your name in all the earth. The King James bible renders it, "How excellent is thy name". Do you feel it? My heart is suddenly quickened as I hear his majestic name and I raise my hand to salute our majestic God.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment