Thursday, August 20, 2015

Precious Memories

She is more precious than rubies. Proverbs 31:10

I thought, as I always do, about my Mom as I popped the bread into the toaster and prepared my hot chocolate. I remember watching Mom, as a kid, place a couple a dozen pieces of bread in the oven and at just the right time she would pull them out and turn them to the other side. She prepared cocoa, as we called it, with real milk and cocoa and, I can still see the toast piled high on the platter as a treat for us all. Memories as wonderful and warm as the delightful, chocolaty liquid still fill my heart every time I eat this "delicacy".

I once heard that if you are stressed or overwhelmed, you should sniff a box of crayons to take you back to those carefree, childhood days. Cocoa and toast is my ticket back to my Mother and a time less complicated.

This Mother's Day I will think of the times, when I was raising my kids, Mom would buy me just the right gift to lift my spirits. Many times it would be a special face cream, a fragrant bubble bath or some new perfume that would remind me that I was not only a wife and mom but a woman who needed to be pampered with such extravagances once in awhile. She always knew what would do that for me and I relish these fond memories as much as I still savor cocoa and toast.

At 89 years old, Mom hasn't made me toast and cocoa for awhile but she still gives me something nearly every time I see her to help a "girl" feel good about herself. I love her and praise God for her, not just because she is my mom, but because she sees the needs of the "little girl" in me, who still loves cocoa and toast.

Happy Mother's Day, Mom! I love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment