Tuesday, December 27, 2011

I Need You, God...HURRY!

Photo by Allison Smith



This is a picture of my daughter's cat, Moe and her dog Fiona and as you can tell, Fiona is in need of help, fast! Many times we call out to God to help us in our need and we add..... and hurry!



Hasten, O God, to save me; come quickly,



Lord, to help me. But as for me, I am poor and needy;



come quickly to me, O God.



You are my help and my deliverer;



Lord, do not delay. (Psalm 70:1, 5 NIV)



As I read the scripture from Psalm 70 I was reminded at how many times I say “Hurry God, save me, come quickly”! I was poor and needy, have you ever been there? Other versions of the bible say afflicted or oppressed and needy! Most of us if we have lived any time at all can understand having a great need for the Lord to hurry and help! One commentary said “Great trials should bring fervent prayers”! My prayers are never more fervent as when I am found in the middle of a crisis.



My daughter Nealy and my granddaughter Cati “happened” to arrive at church early on Christmas morning because they were scheduled to sing. Upon arriving they were taken back to see that there were no cars in the parking lot. Wondering what was going on they made a few phone calls, only to find out that there was only one service and there was no early service. Our Pastor’s wife “happened” to be early also and see them in the parking lot and let them in to the church. Thinking that they would have more time to practice they began discussing the song and who would sing what part. As they sat in the cold sanctuary, an old man walked toward them. He too had shown up for the early service. Our Pastor’s wife Cindy told him that it would be about an hour before the service started but he could wait. The man appeared to be distraught and confused so Cindy and my daughter asked if they could pray for him. As he almost robot like trudged to the alter my daughter saw the deep pain in his eyes as she, Cindy and Cati knelt to pray with him. After praying for a few minutes my daughter asked him what he needed since she could see his deep hurt. She explained, that she knew pain in her own life and could feel that he also had a great need. At that, the man began to weep and tell of his deep sorrow. His wife had passed away only weeks before, his own health was failing and to top it all off, his children were at his house that day going through his wife’s things and fighting as to who would get what. This man was needy and poor of spirit and of need of our caring Lord and deliverer. Because God is always on time, the man left with a hope that only God could give.



Nealy and Cati sang their song without as much practice as they would have liked but with a new song in their heart! They had called on God to come quick and help this one who was poor and needy and he was delivered into hope! The blessedness of the God who works all things together for good for those who love Him! Many times I have asked God to come quick on behalf of my sweet Nealy, all the while asking “Why?” Why should she have to endure so much pain. We will never know the answer to all the whys but I do know my sweet daughter looked into the eyes of this dear man and saw his pain because of the pain she has been facing for so long. Come quick Lord, I love you because you are my help and my deliverer!


Oh, my daughter tells me that Fiona is okay after her spat with Moe!

No comments:

Post a Comment