Friday, December 9, 2011

Martha, Martha CHILL!!!!




...Martha opened her home to him. She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord's feet listening to what he said. But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, "Lord, don't you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!" "Martha, Martha," the Lord answered, "you are worried and upset about many things, but only one thing is needed. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her." Luke 10:38-42 NIV  




Martha: Hurry up Mary, we have to get all our Christmas trees up before our company arrives! And how about that bathroom theme, I put you in charge of coming up with something!


Mary: Martha, relax our guests, just long to enjoy the season with those they love and remember Jesus who came into this world as a babe.


Martha: Mary, you know my goal is yet to be reached of a tree in every room. And the baking, do you realize that our company is almost here and you have yet to make a single cookie? Mary, can’t you stop reading the bible for just a minute so we can hurry to Walmart to get some more decorations, I don’t think we have enough and without the that dried fruit I can’t make those fruit cakes everyone loves. While you are just sitting there, get online to find some of those “Gift in a Jar” ideas!


Mary: Sister, settle down, it will all turn out we already have plenty of decorations and food. You know that the bible says we can’t live by "cookies" alone but by every word that comes from the Lord!


Martha: Chocolate, Mary, you know we need more chocolate to make plenty of fudge and chocolate covered cherries. We can’t forget the live Christmas greenery I want to put on the porch to welcome those who come. Hey, Sister, I think I saw Chia Pets at Walgreens we need to get a few of those for gifts and while you are there get that CD with Burl Ives singing "Have a Holly Jolly Christmas" will ya?


Mary: Martha, I just can’t get over the fact that God sent his son to save the world! I want to read it over and over again!


Martha: Hurry Mary, I want to buy something very clever to use for name tags so we will all know one another. Oh, Mary must you be so slow, we have so much to do and it is nearly time for the Mall to close!


Mary: Martha, Martha you should know, the only thing that matters is that Jesus will be here! And as far as name tags, I think we will all recognize Him! Well, if you can stop long enough to see Him!


The names have been changed to protect the…..guilty!


I must confess that for way too long I have been "Martha" in the little narrative above! I love to decorate for Christmas, I enjoyed making my home look like Christmas has arrived. But sometimes in my desire to bring Christmas, I, like Martha, forget the guest of honor. I am harried, stressed and mostly disgruntled because things never turn out the way I expect them to because my eyes are focused on the wrong things.


Lord, help me to lift my eyes to you and remember afresh the reason we celebrate and who should be glorified for His gift of salvation He brought to the world!


Lift your eyes and look to the heavens: Who created all these? He who brings out the starry host one by one, and calls them each by name. Because of his great power and mighty strength, not one of them is missing. Isaiah 40:26


Martha: Hmmmm? I wonder what kind of gift I would give someone who named the stars one by one?








 








 

No comments:

Post a Comment