Saturday, December 3, 2011

SHALOM!






For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. John 3:16

One of the things that I have pulled from my Christmas decorations is a little candle holder that says Shalom! I bought this on sale but instantly fell in love with it. It seemed just saying that word gave me a sort of kinship with Jesus since he most likely used this term as he greeted people he met on the street or perhaps customers that came to the carpenter shop that he and Joseph worked in. Shalom is a Hebrew greeting used to say hello or goodbye. Which would be good for me since I usually don’t know if I’m coming or going. It means I wish you peace not just lack of war but peace as between God and man. Another word for Shalom was completeness! Completeness! Don’t we all yearn for that kind of peace.

I remember one night a few days before Christmas when the kids were all little, Larry as well as most of our five kids were sick in bed with the flu and I alone was left to hurriedly shop for a few things for the kid's Christmas presents. I remember money was especially tight that year and to spread the little bit we had five ways would be a challenge. As I drove I felt more and more sorry for myself! It seemed that everyone had an arm full of packages, brightly wrapped.  Ladies floated down the street with their beautiful winter attire, white fur encircling their faces, everyone was happy and gay, and was singing and dancing in the street! Well, not that last part but it did seem like I had come upon the scene in one of those old Bing Crosby movies! I could almost hear Silver Bells playing in the backround as the busy shopper rushed home with their treasures. Lights glittered everywhere almost mocking me and my low mood and on top of all that it was beginning to snow so hard that I wasn’t sure I could make it to the stores to shop. I pulled into a parking place, put my head on the steering wheel and cried praying as the tears rolled! Why? Doesn’t my family deserve presents like other people? Why, now is everyone sick at my house, couldn’t it wait until after Christmas? When I lifted my sick, sorry, head the biggest snow flakes I had ever seen was falling from the clear night sky. All I could say was “beautiful” and as I opened the car door and got out the whole world seemed to stand still just for me. The snow had accumulated so fast that there was hardly a footprint to be seen, the heavy layer of snow seemed to envelope my little world at that moment so that it even muffled the sound of traffic and I FELT GOD!  I felt peace!  I didn't deserve it, but I felt wholeness and just as the giant snow flakes melted when they touched my face so did the self pity. I felt a oneness with God! I felt, SHALOM! I asked God to forgive me for my ungratefulness and for not seeing all his blessings. I thanked Him for caring for this "girl" even when I felt sorry for myself and especially for giving me something that could never be found in those beautifully wrapped presents. He gave me His only begotten son!

For God so loved the world, that He gave His one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life.  John 3:16


We still wait until the last minute to shop, more out of habit than anything else but as we rush out to finish our shopping, I always remember when God blessed me with His presence that beautiful snowy night!

SHALOM!

No comments:

Post a Comment