Thursday, December 15, 2011

Hallmark Overload!






I’ll hava bluuuue Christmas without you! You’ll be doin’ alright with your Christmas of white but I’ll hava blue, blue blue blue Christmas!


Some of you will recognize this song sang by my favorite crooner Elvis Presley! I enjoy every Christmas song he sings even his "Blue Christmas" but this time of the year, experts begin to warn of "blues" that hit many people without warning, the "Christmas Blues". As one who suffers from depression all year long, I can tell you my condition can be greatly exasperated this time of the year.


I tend to be a "Hallmark" wanna be kinda girl! You know those happily ever after kind of people portrayed in the movies. I watch those movies knowing fully how they will end. Christmas will reign in hearts of sweethearts, mistletoe will save the day and children, puppies and the homeless will find new homes! I tear up just thinking about it.


So many times we play those perfect Christmas’s in our heads until we think if we have anything less we have failed. I am so guilty of this kind of thinking. My husband will tell you that I, so predictably, begin to want more than I have about this time of the season! My gift giving falls short of what I wanted to give, my decorations should have been better and why didn’t I learn to play the piano so I could sing Christmas carols at family gatherings. I call this “Hallmark Overload” and I’m not sure “Chocolate Overload” could play a part also. What’s the answer to these dreaded feelings of “Why can’t Christmas be as great as Hallmark portrays it?” Though I think that we cannot ignore real clinical depression that may come this time of the year and treat it seriously, I think we can take positive steps to fight off these "Blues".


Being a veteran at depression and “The Christmas Blues” sometimes, I have to praise God (even if I don’t feel like it) for all He has given me! Even as I type these words, I had to stop and do my own praising! “I praise you, Lord, that you have given me this awesome privilege of writing to people I know as well as some I don’t know about your goodness, your awesomeness, and the remarkable hope you give all of us. I have to think of those less fortunate than me, those who mourn this year over fresh graves, for those who can only hope next year will be better and for those who don’t know you or your saving grace. I praise you Father, for loving us so much that you were willing to send your one and only Son as a helpless baby, who would one day die for our sins.


I praise you for my family who in spite of my annual “Christmas Blues”, “Chocolate Overload” and the dreaded “Hallmark Overload” love me anyway! I praise you for helping me, a “Hallmarkaholic” to see the hope that can only be found in you! I praise you, Lord that in the midst of depression, I need only to whisper your name to "feel" that hope even if just a glimmer! I praise you, Lord, when you say "Be still and KNOW that I am God!

No comments:

Post a Comment