Sunday, January 1, 2012

Scream Like a Girl...Happy New Year!




How much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him! Matthew 7:11


Are you a giver or a taker? I know my hand went up on giver! No one wants to be known as a "taker" remember "it is better to give than to receive"! I would have to say my husband is a giver and not a taker to a fault. With good intentions, he is the person you will see trying to grab the bill at a restaurant, he's the "you shouldn't have" and the "don't buy me anything just buy yourself something" person at the holidays! Luckily, he has me around to remind him that it is okay to give our son-in-law the blessing of buying our dinner for his birthday! When he frets about a gift someone has given him being too expensive, I tell him that sometimes it is just as pleasing to God to happily receive as it is to give.



I was privileged to watch a beautiful story unfold in the life of my son-in-law's niece this Christmas. Aubrey is twelve and had a lifetime dream of having a horse of her own. While her siblings enjoyed athletic endeavors, her love horses out weighed any sport. I am told she took riding lessons and poured over equine magazines as she held tight to her dream. Through a series of developments, a woman who was once in Aubrey's shoes (or boots) desiring and dreaming of having horse, decided to give Aubrey her horse. Goose bumps jumped out as I watched Aubrey, by way of video, as she opened the package under the tree. It was a picture of Buddy with a note that said this picture will have to do until the real thing is delivered on Saturday! Have you ever heard a twelve year old girl scream? She received her gift with such joy it brought tears to all who seen it.



As we start this new year, are there gifts from God still under the tree, that you don't or won't receive? When God hands you the gift of his unfailing love do you turn away and say no thanks, that is just too good to be true for someone like me? Were you offered the gift of peace? Sorry, Lord, you can give that one to someone who has small problems, mine are too big to trust you with in order to recieve your peace. Perhaps it is His word you won't open because you don't have time right now. Maybe He stands with outstretched hands, offering salvation, a gift bought at great price! Will you still refuse?



My prayer for all of us in 2012 is that we open our hearts and minds to our God who says He gives good gifts to His children. On this New Years day, I want to joyously receive whatever He has for me. Did you ever hear a sixty three year old scream like a twelve year old girl?



Sent from Jeanie!

1 comment: