Monday, January 16, 2012

Thanks Mom!





Daniel answered, “May the king live forever! 22 My God sent his angel, and he shut the mouths of the lions. They have not hurt me, because I was found innocent in his sight. Nor have I ever done any wrong before you, Your Majesty.” Daniel 6:21-22


Nearly every time I see one of my kids I can't help myself, I just have to comment on whatever I see as glorious about them on that particular day. To me each one of them are beautiful and handsome! I see their good qualities much more than I could see bad qualities! This also applies to my grandkids, wow are they ever "grand" as most grandparents would attest. Occasionally one of them will come back with "Yeah but you ARE my mom. Sound familiar?

This brings me to a discussion I had with the Lord the other day. I had sent one of my stories to a women's ministry to see if they could use my blog on their site. I imagined my name being listed as one of their writers and how "proud" I would be, how prestigious that would be! When I wasn’t notified of their joy of taking me in as one of their writers I moaned to God as I asked for a “hand up“ with these people. As I talked to my Father about this my words seem to go hollow. I wondered if God had dropped my call but still unraveled, I continued on. After giving my lengthy speech about the benefits to Him and His kingdom, I seemed to feel the Lord telling me that he was already pleased with me and what I was doing. Not only that he seemed to add “Isn’t that enough?“ I thanked him briefly for his blessing but......! I can only laugh at what came next in this crazy mind of mine. "Yeah, but, with all due respect, you ARE my FATHER! Sound familiar? Why do we strive so for the approval of man when the only opinion that matters is the Lord's?



I read today in Daniel, of how the king had made a law, with the prodding of evil men, that no one should worship or bow down to anyone other than, he, the king. At this time, Daniel had a great position and was trusted by the king but still Daniel chose to honor the King of Kings rather than king. Daniel continued to pray to the only true God three times a day and was finally arrested by those who were jealous of Daniel’s position. Daniel, I’m sure, could have gotten another “feather in his cap” if he had only bowed, and the king would have shown his approval but he chose to honor God instead of man. Daniel, indeed was thrown in with the hungry lions, but God closed the mouths of the lions and as we all know he came out of the den with not even a scratch.



Some days, we can feel that hungry lions surround us ready to eat us up. The pressure is always there to please the world and it’s idea of greatness. But if we obey God we will receive his greatness, his approval and our Father will say “Well done my good and faithful, child”! I praise you Lord, you ARE my Father!







No comments:

Post a Comment