Sunday, January 8, 2012

The Race!



Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us,
Hebrews 12:1


I wish I could boast of great athletic ability but the truth is I have none. I could never see myself sliding into first base, risking bloodied knees, hurt hands and a mouth full of dust just to get a point on a score board. Football, really blows my mind! Actually catching the ball so that several three hundred pound men would run after you with the specific intent of knocking you down and flopping on top of you makes no sense to me.


I wish I were different, I wish I could talk of my time as a high school volley ball champ or even a letter in Tiddly Winks would be something but I just didn’t have it in me. Even when I was little there was a reason I wasn’t chosen to be on someone’s team, besides my total lack of ability, I usually gave myself away when I wondered off to catch a butterfly or pick flowers hoping they all would forget me. No one wanted to be left standing, not picked but I just didn’t care especially if I actually caught the butterfly. I probably spared many boys and girls from a poor self image because I was always the last one picked.


I admire people who can run for twenty six miles and force themselves across a line to the applause and adoration of spectators. I can’t say I wouldn’t love the moment and that sense of accomplishment but twenty six grueling miles of burning lungs, aching legs and throbbing muscles would be a deal breaker for me. My daughter, Missy, ran a half marathon and I was so proud of her and her determination. It’s pretty obvious she, as well as her sisters, got that kind of determination from their Dad who “gets” the whole competition thing. There, however, is a race I want to finish well! Paul talks of running a race, the race of life, the race marked out for us. This race even I can run!


I just read a book written by Billie Graham, one of my favorite Christian leaders, entitled “Nearing Home”! I almost didn’t buy the book because of the title, which suggests, as you might imagine, dying. I read the book in two days and found that indeed he talked about death but mostly he talked about finishing well. Finishing well and leaving a Godly heritage has been my hearts desire, now for quite sometime, but at this writing, I realize that living well or finishing well isn’t easy. Sometimes I need to do things that are hard in order to be a good witness to people around me. Today the Lord reminded me of something I have been needing to change and haven‘t. The truth is I have been disobeying what I know God wants me to do. So today I stubbed my toe while running my race but with God’s help and forgiveness I will continue on trying to run the race marked out for me.


If I live to be 93 years old as Mr. Graham, or go to heaven tomorrow, my prayer is to serve God, run the race laid out for me and “finish well”.


I want to live as long as the Lord would leave me here but I have to say “Nearing Home” does have a lovely sound to it.


 


No comments:

Post a Comment