Monday, May 25, 2020

The Harvest

Matthew 9:37-38, Isaiah 52:7

The end of an era, I thought to myself.  Larry and I have been planting a garden every year for fifty years. This year we did not.  As I walked to the back tonight I gazed, with sadness, at the spot where our garden was usually planted, where green plants poked their heads out to reach the sunshine.  I missed the tiny tomato plants with that special fragrance that stayed on your hands forever and the spindly green bell pepper plants standing tall.  Old tomato cages lay in a pile when once they held the heavy vines of tomatoes of every variety.  I especially picked out the kind that was good for canning.  I would pick bushels on a good year. As I prepared the bright red fruit, jars were scalded and readied for the bounty of the season. They looked beautiful as they sat on the shelf waiting to be used for winter soup and chili for my big family.  Harvesting sweet corn was an especially delicious treat with butter slathered from end to end, it was the perfect side dish with bacon and tomato sandwiches.  Many times I marveled and thanked God for the harvest that our garden gave us. 

I think, more than ever, souls are ready to know the Lord of the Harvest.  I can visualize the scripture in Matthew.  I can see that now the harvest is plentiful.

Then he said to his disciples, “The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few.  Ask the Lord of the harvest, therefore, to send out workers into his harvest field.”
Matthew 9:37‭-‬38 NIV

I have been praying for a revival in this country in our churches for a long time, but revival will not come unless the church sees a need to be revived.  Our great need is to seek God with our whole hearts and set our eyes and our hearts to the harvesting of souls.  Unless we seek Him first and foremost revival will escape our grasp.  Today, we must ask the Lord of the harvest to send out workers into the harvest field.

How beautiful on the mountains are the feet of those who bring good news, who proclaim peace, who bring good tidings, who proclaim salvation, who say to Zion, “Your God reigns!”
Isaiah 52:7 NIV

I pray this is the beginning of a new era as we turn our eyes to the harvest.


Ponder and Pray
Oh, Lord of the harvest, send your workers into the field, that not one of your children would be lost.  Give us revival in our land as we humble ourselves and pray.











No comments:

Post a Comment