Tuesday, May 12, 2020

Flourish


I have been working in a little workbook given to me by what’s called, Flourish Writers Academy.  I joined to improve my writing and my work toward the goal of publishing my work.  I was asked to find a verse that would represent my writing and my life.  I found Psalm 92:12-15 and liked it because it uses the word flourish which I hope to do.

The righteous will flourish like a palm tree, they will grow like a cedar of Lebanon;  planted in the house of the Lord, they will flourish in the courts of our God.  They will still bear fruit in old age, they will stay fresh and green,  proclaiming, “The Lord is upright; he is my Rock, and there is no wickedness in him.”
Psalms 92:12‭-‬15 NIV

I read a little bit about palm trees to familiarize myself with this species of tree.  We were privileged to be able to go to my daughter’s house in San Diego where there are many palm trees and was fascinated by them.  Their trunks, as most know, grow straight and strong with no branches except at the top.  The broad leaves, called fronds, grow upwards to reach the sun.  They withstand high winds and bend almost 180 degrees. They can live up to one hundred years and bear fruit most of their lives.  I like that part.  In fact, I love the verse that says, “Even in old age, they will still produce fruit; they will remain vital and green”. Then the verse goes on to says “They will proclaim, “The Lord is my Rock”.  Even in old age!  Did you get that?  Sometimes my bones ache, my brain is fuzzy and my hands are weak but still this scripture, like others, says we are not to give up, bearing fruit and proclaiming his goodness!

Oh, Lord, let me, like the palm tree, bend but not break during the storms of life, may I reach for the Son and not the world, and may I proclaim the Lord to the next generation.  May I flourish and grow strong!

No comments:

Post a Comment