Sunday, May 17, 2020

Notifications, Mighty Warriors!

Wow!  Nine notifications on my Facebook page!  With anxious fingers I tapped the little bell at the bottom of the page. Reading every one as if my life depended on it in just a few cyber minutes. I soon found myself woefully disappointed in the content, though it boasted great rewards.  Same ole, same ole I concluded!  Why had I put my time and trust in this weak substitute when so often it lacked what I search for….. Answers?  Peace?  Wisdom?  Truth?  My heart was soothed as I wisely turned my attention to my Bible, which beckoned me with the truth according to God Almighty
. Real "notifications" of great importance.


In this quiet time, I was drawn to the story of Gideon found in the book of Numbers.  I liked what the angel of the LORD said to Gideon.  “The LORD is with you, mighty warrior! I was also quite amused by Gideon’s reply, “Pardon me!”

  By this time in the history of the Israelites, the whole nation, as well as Gideon, was hiding from the Midianites in the clefts of the mountains. This formidable enemy had been severely oppressing them, actually systematically starving them to death by destroying their crops.  These fickle people
were complaining that God had not performed miracles on their behalf as he had at the Red Sea.
God reminded them that they had left him to worship other gods and had stopped listening to him. 
I can see myself in these hard-headed people, can you?  I want God to perform miracles when I 
need them, REALLY BAD but depend on the world to meet my needs until it can’t. In the stillness of my heart,  God greeted me and called me to be a mighty warrior in his army and I say with Gideon, “Pardon me”.  “You have the wrong girl for this great battle.”  I remind the LORD of all creation, including me, that I am the least of all people in the world. Why me? I argue, “Who am I to bring 
Jesus to the broken?  It can't be me who is to remind his children that to find peace they must come to him who gives perfect peace?  Could it be possible that instead of hiding behind my insecurities in the cleft of doubt, God wants me to introduce this shattered world to the eternal Rock and bring the fearful to meet the One who gives a steadfast mind if we trust in him?  Help me, Lord to be your Mighty Warrior as I fight the battle for lost souls.


You will keep in perfect peace those whose minds are steadfast because they trust in you.  Trust in the Lord forever, for the Lord, the Lord himself is the Rock eternal.
Isaiah 26:3‭-‬4 NIV




No comments:

Post a Comment