Thursday, May 7, 2020

Precious Rubies!

Precious Rubies!

As Mother’s Day approaches, it reminds me of the many times I dreaded it as I thought of the sermon that would most likely be delivered that day and the guilt that would arouse in me.  It seems to me that most pastors had saints for mothers.  They would speak of her with statements like, “she never spoke a word in a raised voice” or “I never heard her speak badly of another” and then, came the dreaded Proverbs 31 woman who’s virtues I could never match.  It even starts out with a negative comment.  “A wife of noble character who can find?”, so I’m wondering if this woman even existed.  But I did try to be her in my life as a mother and wife, many times doing bible studies to glean wisdom from this Proverb.   I have always said that I am a frustrated perfectionist.  I always wanted to be perfect, do everything perfectly, and make perfect decisions but found myself frustrated and defeated because I could never live up to my own standards.  Instead of being worth far more than rubies as stated in verse 10, I thought myself as cheap costume jewelry. 

Look with me at this woman, let us find what we can all identify with, within this popular reading.  It used to be that this day was dedicated entirely to Mothers in our church. There would be a potted plant for the oldest mother, the mother with most children, and a few times I was awarded the prize for the youngest child there.  How many potted plants would the Proverbs 31 woman get?  Probably all of them!  But let’s look at this a bit closer.  In verse 12 we note that she brings “good and not harm all the days of her life”.  How about you moms that feel like a failure today because your laundry is stacking up but you took time to play with your little brood today?  Who has rescued a child from the cliff of uncertainty with your soothing words?  Are there any among you who smoothed back the hair of your child to comfort them as they resisted sleep and kneeled beside their bed as they slept to ask God’s peace to surround them?  May she come forth, she who has gotten up in the middle of the night to pray for your grown children in their time of crisis or a prodigal who needs the Lord.  Are these not times of good, and not harm all the days of your life?

Who can find a virtuous and capable wife? She is more precious than rubies.
Proverbs 31:10 NLT

Happy Mother’s Day, Rubies of great value!

No comments:

Post a Comment