Thursday, January 30, 2020

Go Tell Of The Feast

It was a trip he was not to forget.  It was a fishing trip to Canada with my husband and some other guys from the church.  My dad was the greatest fisherman I ever knew.  He fished on the hottest of days or would drill a hole in the ice to catch them on the coldest of days.  He had so much patience when it came to waiting them out for just a nibble on his line.  I shared with my grandson, Kellan, a saying he had.  He would say, "Throw right out there, right on his front patio".

One day he went out with Larry and he insisted that they go out to the shallows of the giant lake while their fellow fishermen fished deep.  As he directed my husband where to where to set anchor, they looked down to find a huge school of walleye just beneath the boat.  As Larry excitedly readied his fishing gear, my dad said the most incredible thing, "Let's go get the others so they can catch some too."  My sweet husband reluctantly did as my dad had suggested.  The group caught many fish that day except for my husband who caught none, which we laughed about for years.

I thought of this story, as I was introduced to an account in 2 Kings 7 in a devotion I read awhile back.

It tells of four men with leprosy, a terrible affliction at that time.  These starving men came upon a camp that was set up with lots of fine food, but the men of the camp had been frightened away by the threat of an attack on them.  The starving lepers ate until they were full but finally said to each other, "This is not right.  This is a day of good news and we aren't sharing with anyone".  "Come let us go back and tell the people".

How many times have I feasted on God's word, His blessings, and His truth but don't go and tell others?  I enjoy the warmth of the sanctuary as I listen to the messages from God, the singing of praise and the wonderful fellowship but I am fearful to go and tell of God's plan to receive all who ask, into His kingdom.  In this time of famon in our world, we have the Gospel, the good news of Christ.

  Help me not feast alone but go tell others what I have found in You, O Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment