Thursday, January 23, 2020

Moses, Hold Those Arms Up!

A year ago in March, after I had just taught my Sunday School lesson, I began to feel lightheaded, dizzy and finally all was black.  I remember my friend, Michelle on one side talking in calming tones reassuring me everything was going to be okay, while my husband, Larry on the other side never stopped rubbing my hair and kissing my forehead.  Though my eyes were closed I vaguely heard my husband tell someone to call the ambulance.  In my muddled mind I wondered what all the fuss was about.  As I think back,  I wondered why I didn’t pray or become frightened of death.  I think those around me wondered if I would make it.  I remember the EMT on the ambulance drive, trying to get an IV in and had to stick me several times.  He tried to make me laugh with corny jokes and stories.  I remember trying to smile but my face just would not move and my mouth never made it to a smile!  Of course, when we got to the hospital the action began.  One test after another, even a drug test.  As I became more alert I realized they thought I had had a stroke.  Every test they had to look at my brain.  They were on a quest to find out what had gone wrong.  Next was a drug-induced stress test to then check out my heart.  I was placed in an open scanner and told it was important that I keep my arms above my head.  A technician held my arms in this awkward position for what seemed like hours as the scanning machine made one pass after another over my chest as they injected the drugs.  By then I didn’t need drugs to make me stressed!  As I lay there my arms became tired and sore and they begged to return to a more comfortable place.  Ever faithful was the technician in her nicely pressed scrubs keeping my arms over my head.

I thought of this today as I read from Exodus about Moses, Aaron and Hur.  The Amalekites attacked the Israelites at Rephidim.  Moses promised them if they fought he would stand on the top of the hill with the staff of God in his hands.  When his arms were up Joshua was winning the battle but when Moses hands grew tired and came down, Joshua was losing.  Aaron, Moses’ brother and Hur his brother-in-law looked for a rock and told Moses to sit down and with one on each side they held his arms up until the battle was won!

I liked a few things about this story.  First I like it that they found a rock for Moses to sit down on.  I think of the battles I have gone through in my life where someone found a place for me to rest in while they held me up in prayer.  My arms weary from trying to handle it on my own, we’re pulled up by people on each side lifting me to the throne.  I have felt the burden become lighter as family and friends come along side of us to steady us all the while reminding us to rest in His promises until the battle is won.  Lord, give me a heart to hold others up  until their war is won.

Besides a big hospital bill, everything came out ok.  I’ll never know for sure what happened to me that St Patrick’s Day last year but those who held my arms up then , still do.  They gave me a Rock to sit on and lifted me to the Father!

No comments:

Post a Comment