Saturday, January 4, 2020

Light of Life!

It was still dark as I got out of bed one summer morning.  As I looked out the window, the sky was clear and the Lord's majesty was on display.  I grabbed my shoes and went out to see better.  Warning: If you live in town this might alarm the neighbors!  The big light that stands in our back yard was keeping me from seeing the beauty of God's work so I walked out in the back part of our property.  As I walked out further into the darkness, I was moved by His splendor.  From there, as I sat down in my prayer chair, I could see the moon and stars so clearly.  The light shone on my face as I contemplated His creation and the darkness around me disappeared.

Sometimes we cannot see the light until we are thrust into the darkness of life's burdens.  The artificial lights of our world give us a false sense of well being.  Our jobs, money, or the false security of our own abilities bolsters us and keeps us from the real Light.  Many times it is when we find ourselves in the darkness of a bad diagnosis for ourselves or our loved ones, a failed relationship or financial upheaval, that we are forced to search for light in something bigger than ourselves.

I have found myself there many times, as I have floundered in my own strength. That is when I am drawn to His word and have been brought to my knees in prayer. It is then that the Father of Light shows up and again gives me Light.  Sometimes I am given just enough light to take one more step but the light He gives lights my path.  That night the darkness illuminated the light in the sky but through the darkness in our spirit, we can also see the Great Light, Jesus Christ.  Praise the Lord!

 When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.”  John 8:12

This is the message we have heard from him and declare to you: God is light; in him, there is no darkness at all.  1 John 1:5

 When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.”  John 3:12




No comments:

Post a Comment