Saturday, February 1, 2020

A Lesson From The Egg Carton

It seems I have been on a diet all my adult life.  I only wish I could be the weight I was when I started dieting or at least what my driver's license says I am!  In one of my Weight Watcher meetings years ago, the leader was trying to emphasize the importance of not giving up when we mess up. Many, including myself, might say something like, "I ate this cookie so I will just eat two more cookies and why even try for the rest of the day!"  He explained that would be like finding a cracked egg in the carton and breaking all the rest of the eggs.

I thought of this after being awakened from a sound sleep the other night.  Eggs?  Yes, Eggs!

A few weeks ago we received the news that our daughter, Melissa, after receiving chemo for six months, was found to no longer be in remission but indeed she had cancer again even after a great outpouring of prayers that the biopsy would be cancer-free.  All of us were devastated at the news because we knew that the treatment she would have to undergo.  We had prayed she would be spared this aggressive and life-threatening procedure.

We were disappointed, to say the least, but for me, I just felt alone for the first time since becoming a Christian.  If perchance our will was not God's will, what could I do now?

At that point, I was ready to break the other eleven eggs because of the one broken one in the carton.  Was I to throw away the trust I had always had for my Lord?  Had I forgotten sometimes God's answer is "Wait"!  Surely I would not throw away the hope we have in Him and only Him for our salvation.  Did I forget the sacrifice the Father made by sending His son to die for me?  Had I forgotten that even the breath I breathe was given by Him?  Could I forget the lives lived for God including our Missy's life?  She is the Warrior who sang valiantly, "Nothing Can Take My Hallelujah"?  May I be reminded that Jenna our granddaughter had excepted Jesus and raised her little hand to praise her God in her newfound faith.  Do I carelessly throw away my children and grandchildren's Christian heritage over one disappointment?  "May all who come behind me find me faithful"!  Do I fling to the floor past miracles because perhaps I hear "Wait" from my Savior instead of what I had planned on?

I decided my answer would be NO!  I found a scripture that I am claiming as my own.

So do not throw away this confident trust in the Lord.  Remember the great reward it brings you!  Patient endurance is what you need now so that you will continue to do God's will.  Then you will receive all he has promised.  Hebrews 10:35-36

Join me as we pray for Missy in the months to come!

Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us.  Ephesians 3:20

No comments:

Post a Comment