Monday, February 10, 2020

The Waves and Wind

I have been listening to a beautiful song, not on YouTube or a CD but in my head.  The song that swirls in the often empty spaces up there is “It is Well” by Kristene DiMarco and Horacio Spafford.  I love it when someone combines an old hymn with a new spin.  My heart is touched by “It Is Well With My Soul” by Spafford but the new portion is beautiful as well and has stuck in my head for the last several days.  The line that I keep going over is “So let go my soul and trust in Him, the wind and waves still know His name.”

Did you ever know anyone who made a name for themselves?  Back when my twin brothers, Mike and Pat were in middle school, similar to now, there were bullies.  Either you gave in to the bullying or you fought back.  My brothers fought back and therefore even after they had left that school our little brother benefited from  their reputation.  People still knew their name and would-be bullies left my him alone because of his name.  

I sometimes think of the suffering and heartaches of life as bullies.  They come at us like a storm.  They beat against our hearts and threatens our peace.

In Mark 4:37-39 a great storm is described that threatened to take the lives of the disciples.  They finally went to Jesus and He rebuked the wind and said to the waves “Be still.”

I think of this story as I sing the words over and over in my head.  “The wind and waves still know His name”!  

He calms the storms in our life!  Because of His name we can have a calm assurance even when the wind and waves threaten if we just call out His name.  

“The disciples were absolutely terrified. “Who is this man?” they asked each other. “Even the wind and waves obey him!””
‭‭Mark‬ ‭4:41‬ ‭NLT‬‬

No comments:

Post a Comment