Sunday, September 23, 2012

Trust His Hand When You Can't See His Plan!





Everything is always changing, have you noticed that? Being a newlywed was a change, of course it was a great change I loved being married, I was proud to be Mrs Larry Nihiser but none the less it was still a change. I had barely taken a breath of wedded bliss when I became a mother and all of the happiness that comes with that beautiful time of life but still a change. Just when I was enjoying having babies at my knees, they began to troop off to school, one by one. Tears stung my eyes to watch the big yellow bus take my babies away to kindergarten …again change. My babies went from pigtails and loose teeth to lipstick and eye makeup. They went from loving Barbies to loving boys. I blinked my eyes two times and they were walking down the isle to become a newlywed themselves. Then I found my self experiencing something new and wonderful, being a grandmother and as any grandmother can attest a delightful change. I now see my grown daughters going through the same changes and so the cycle continues. One of my daughters, wrote on her Facebook wall that she had been watching home videos and said “where has the time gone?” I understand what she is saying. We also go through changes that are sometimes not so pleasant. Our bodies change and don’t have the energy it once did. Our hair turns gray and “wow, who is that woman in the mirror”. Sadly, there comes a time when we are unable to care for ourselves and after years of giving, we must accept the help of others.

My husband and his brother spent the past week getting things arranged to have their mother move to an assisted living facility. Up until now she had lived on her own. It was hard on mother and sons alike. As she, in their childhood, had held their hand and guided their way, today they hold her frail hand to steady her unsure gait. It’s going to be really nice for her there since she will be getting the help she needs but can also remain somewhat independent… still another change. She is 91 and often says “I just can’t believe I am that old” and you know I understand what she is saying. As we undergo one change after another we have to bear in mind that we have a God that never changes. The same God who knew me before I was born, still knows me today. He has not grown old, tired confused, or forgetful . His hand is still steady. He has been my best fan as I have struggled through the changes of life. He has applauded when I’ve done well and cried when I have been hurt. I am still his child, He holds my hand and that NEVER changes. He still holds the hand of my mother-in-law and someday will welcome her home for her final change where her hand will not be frail or her gait unsure and she will meet the God who is the same yesterday, today and forever!
Dorothy is now almost 94 and looking forward to another year of making candy for Christmas.  She lived in the first assisted living facility for two years but moved a few months back to a new one.  She enjoys eating out and she still loves her beloved Peppy, her doggie in fact he visits her and even had a sleepover the other night.  She continues to do well and we are blessed to have her with us. I re-posted this one because I thought of the change that took place over two years ago.  The Lord still on the throne and has taken care of her as he has all of her life.  He has been abundant in his love for Dorothy and as she has done for 94 years, she trusts His hand when she couldn't see His plan.  Change!

No comments:

Post a Comment