Monday, September 3, 2012

Deep Roots!










They will be like a tree planted by the water



that sends out its roots by the stream.



It does not fear when heat comes;



its leaves are always green.



It has no worries in a year of drought



and never fails to bear fruit." (Jeremiah 17:8 NIV)



Many of the people who live around us have had to haul water this year because of the draught! But our well has never gone dry even in these extreme conditions. It is thought that our well taps into an underground stream that never dries up. This hidden source of water is not effected by the above normal temperatures that ran over 100 degrees many days this summer. Our garden, unlike the trees near the well, dried up even with our attempts to water, our new bushes look like they have succumbed to the heat and grass is brown in many areas of the yard. The trees in the area of above the stream, on our property however have stayed green and never seems to even notice the extreme heat or lack of rain. I thought of this as I read this morning from the Psalms and as I was directed to read in Jeremiah 17:8.



In these scriptures we are told that those who delight in the "Law of the Lord" or the bible, will send out roots to the source of water. For many years I read my bible with the attitude of duty not necessarily of delight. Not that I didn't find delight but more often than not, it was a ritual that I knew was necessary if I was to maintain my relationship with the Lord. I don't know what changed, but I can now say I delight in His words. Most mornings I seek his word as I would seek water on a hot day. I want my roots to go deep to see his truth. The Lord has shown me truths that have been hidden from me and I now delight as if I have found a treasure because that is what they are. If I neglect this time, I find the desert heat of adversity wilting my spirit.



And I will give you the treasures of darkness and hidden



riches of secret places, that you may know that it is I, the Lord, the God of



Israel, Who calls you by your name. (Isaiah 45:3 AMP)



Out of that love of scripture, came this blog started mainly for my children. In this season of life (retirement) I am able to dig deep, I am not prohibited by a job, or unable due to the constant pull of young children. The Lord has given me this season to share my treasure with those who need fed. My daughters refer to themselves as baby birds with mouths wide open who delight in the morsels I find to feed them. Oh, the Lord is so good!


No comments:

Post a Comment