Wednesday, September 26, 2012

A Few Turnips And A Milk Cow?

As I have research the ancestry of Larry and I, most times it has been evident as to what kind of legacy these long ago family members left for the generations to come.  Here is a few examples of people on my family tree and what they left for their children as well as many great grandchildren these many years later.

This list was included in my 5th Great Grandfather’s will.  In the name of God Amen. I Thomas Gardner of the Township of Springfield in the County of Essex and State of New Jersey, being sick in body but of sound mind and memory do make and ordain this my last will and testament In Promise I commit my body to the dust and my Soul to God who gave it.  And as to those worldly things wherewith it pleased God to bless me, my will is that all my just debts and funeral charges be paid by my Executors herein after to be named, out of my personal estate.  This man was born in 1724 and died in 1795.

2 Hats
2 Great Coats
5 Pair of Stockings
5 Pair of Trousers
4 Linen Shirts 1
2 Pair of Breeches
4 Light Bodied Coats
4 Jackets
1 Pair Shoes and Pair of Boots
1 Pair of Buckles and Buttons
Cash due without bond for one yoke of ox
1 Horse
3 Milk Cows
1 Beef Cow
2 Calves
1 Pair of steers
2 Heifers
4 Sheep
Wheat and Rye on the Ground
Turnips in the Ground
Corn on the Ground
Wheat and Rye in the Barn
Buckwheat in the House
Oats in the Barn
Broom Corn in the Barn
Hay in store
Flax not cleaned
Riding Chair

If I inventoried everything I have in order to put them in my will it would look much different. Most of us would need more space to write down everything we own. You may say you don't have much but remember the above list included everything even turnips that was still in the ground.

As Thomas, I would have a list that would tell nothing of what I hopefully left as my legacy. Whether good or bad we all leave a legacy.

One of my searches lead me to a man who according to the newspaper article was addicted to alcohol.  The headline read: An Old Man’s Fate!  This man, Larry’s 2nd great grandfather, as the story is told, came to Decatur with his two sons to sell his crops but after being paid, started home alone.  As he drove, it is assumed he drank from the jug he always carried under the seat of his wagon.  Driving along and drinking heavily (DUI) he lost control of his team of horses. The team of two horses ran wild and ended up running head long into a fence neither horse was hurt but the old man was found in the back of the wagon, jug empty, money half gone and dead from his injuries.  Sadly this was a good man and according to the coroner:  “Mr Nihiser who was known well in this area, was a naturally kind-hearted and industrious man, but unfortunately he was addicted to a bad habit that has ruined a great many people”.

Remember for good or bad we all leave a legacy!

As I read through the list of things that my great, great ,great great grandfather owned it tells me nothing of his legacy because a legacy is more than a few cows, a horse and a crop of turnips still in the ground.

Through my research I found that he was a decorated captain in the Revolutionary War gaining much fame because of his bravery. I read another interesting story of how he was arrested for participating in several jailbreaks and inciting riots. Hmmm, this caused my eyebrows to rise somewhat.  But come to find out he was a defender of early settlers who were unjustly jailed by the British proprietors when they refused to handover their land.  Integrity?  Yes!  But probably more important was what was inscribed on his tombstone:
"My flesh shall slumber in the ground Till the last trumpet's joyful sound; Then burst the chains with sweet surprise, And in my Savior's image rise."

If I am to read between the lines, I would say the best decision Captain Thomas Gardner, this  brave and courageous hero, ever made was to be a follower of Jesus Christ his Savior!

What are we passing to our children and grandchildren? Is it a few turnips and a milk cow or are we leaving them a life pointing them toward Christ and heaven? Go make your list, turnips and all then give it all to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment