Tuesday, September 18, 2012

So Very Weekly!




Since retiring almost five years ago, I sometimes forget what day it is. But it's not long before I figure it out as I reach for the little orange container that holds my medicines. As I slide my finger across the letters I finally figure out that Monday pills are gone so it must be Tuesday! I just love old people, don't you!

In years gone by there were dish towels in my drawer that had been beautifully embroidered to sing out the days of the week. These towels are considered antiques now to be sure.

I noticed that they now make children's undies that have Dora merrily pointing to the day of the week or some super hero holding up the Monday through Sunday as if they were heavy.

My fear now is they will come up with the geriatric version of underwear that proudly display the day of the week! How embarrassing if you're hauled into the hospital on Wednesday and you are still wearing Tuesday underwear!

All this said, I also use the days of the week to pray for my kids and grandkids. It works out nicely that I have five daughters to which Monday through Friday was assigned and then there is Saturday for Nick. When I pray for each of the girls, I include their husbands and kids. So my oldest daughter Christa is my Monday girl, Kelly my Tuesday girl etc according to birth order. Not rocket science but it gives me some order so I can include everyone and concentrate my prayers specifically on that particular family.

As I thought of this today it reminded me of the greatness of our God! In my finiteness, I have to devise a plan that a fifth grader could understand, yet my heavenly Father hears each one of us as we speak. He doesn't have to keep track of our needs by looking at the calendar, he just knows our needs. He doesn't have to pull out his pill box to know who to pray for on that day.

Think of it! The One who keeps the universe in order takes time to hear our prayers and to pray for each of us! The One who made you and me, says bring your burdens to me and I will give you rest. The One who named the stars knows your name and my name. How fabulous is that? Amen!


Lift your eyes and look to the heavens: Who created all these? He who brings out the starry host one by one, and calls them each by name. Because of his great power and mighty strength, not one of them is missing. Isaiah 40:26




=

No comments:

Post a Comment