Wednesday, April 8, 2020

Leafy but Barren?



I was intrigued by the account in the Gospel of Mark and also in Matthew that many believe was on Monday after the Lord’s triumphant entry into Jerusalem.   It was about the cursing of the fig tree. At first glance you would wonder why this is even in the bible but as usual you need to look into the background of this story.  For centuries the fig tree was a symbol of Israel and the story represents the turning away from God and the bareness of the souls of the Jewish people.  

As the account is depicted in the two gospels, Jesus was hungry and from far off He noticed a fig tree with all of its leaves which could be assumed that the fruit was there also.  But as He approached the tree, He found that there were no figs. The beautiful leaves were covering the fruitlessness of tree.


Early in the morning, as Jesus was on his way back to the city, he was hungry. Seeing a fig tree by the road, he went up to it but found nothing on it except leaves. Then he said to it, “May you never bear fruit again!” Immediately the tree withered.
Matthew 21:18‭-‬19 NIV

One of my fears in life is that at the end of my life I would regret things that I did or didn’t do.  The fig tree represents a life that appeared fruitful but in fact was barren. We can have all the right things in place, like the fig tree.  Our leaves may be beautiful but there is no fruit. We can look like a Christian with our churchy words, church attendance or tithe giving but we can be barren in our souls.  While the fruits of the Spirit are love, joy, peace, patience, kindness goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control we are also instructed by the Lord himself to go into all the world and preach the gospel to all creation.  Before He ascended into heaven, He said “Make disciples of all nations baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit”, this is commonly called the Great Commission. Am I fulfilling this command the commission from the Lord?  Am I telling others about Jesus? If I am not, I am no better than the barren fig tree and I will wither in my soul. May I tell of the Good News of Jesus’ salvation! Lord, help me as I endeavor to bring the Good News to many!


How beautiful on the mountains are the feet of those who bring good news, who proclaim peace, who bring good tidings, who proclaim salvation, who say to Zion, “Your God reigns!”

Isaiah 52:7 NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment