Saturday, April 25, 2020

What Shall We Do?

Being an early riser, it's not unusual for me to get up when it is still pitch dark outside.  I enjoy my time with the Lord in the quiet of those early hours but lately, I have been waking much earlier and usually with a sense of fear surrounding me.  Fear of what, I usually don't know.  While I fix my coffee, I mull over the things that it might be, all the while praying for God's peace to so permeate my soul in this time of fear.  I think about the fact that I'm not fearful of the COVID 19 for myself though sometimes for others.  I am not even afraid for my daughter who is being treated for cancer since I have given this entirely to the Lord.  I don't fear for my own life, though I sometimes have waves of fear of getting older and what that can bring.  So I ask the Lord to give me something to combat this feeling, scripture to ease my mind.  I came across a question in one of my devotions today that started my mind to processing this overwhelming feeling that encompasses me at times for no reason.  "What are you afraid of and what keeps you up at night?"  Perfect for me, right?  The devotion led me to one of my favorite scripture stories in the bible that is found in 2 Kings 6:8-17.  Elisha, a prophet, is being pursued by a wicked king, and one morning as Elisha's servant awakens he sees that the hills are full of horses and chariots of the enemy surrounding Elisha.  Being very frightened, the servant lets his master know what grave danger awaits them in the hills.  "What shall we do?" he shouts, but Elisha calmly told the servant that the one who is for us is more than those against us.  Elisha asked that the Lord would open the eyes of the servant and at that time the frightened servant was able to see a great army of the Lord surrounding Elisha ready to fight for this man of God.  So those living in fear of the future, look to the hills!  Those with the diagnosis of cancer, look at the light from the flaming chariots!  If anybody be broken-hearted or just broke listen to the rumble of chariot wheels.  For greater is He who is in you, than what fills your heart with fear or dread this day.

I lift up my eyes to the mountains— where does my help come from?  My help comes from the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth.
Psalms 121:1‭-‬2 NIV

You, dear children, are from God and have overcome them because the one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world.
1 John 4:4 NIV

If God is for us, who can be against us?  Romans 8:31

These scripture verses ministered to my heart!  God is so much bigger than what makes me afraid today.  I only need to open my eyes to see that He is always working on my behalf.  Today, as every day, the army of the Lord surrounds us.




No comments:

Post a Comment