Friday, April 10, 2020

Bunny Cake

Bunny Cake

In our family, the Easter Bunny cake is a treasured tradition that continues even today. I found the cut-out pattern in the Sunday paper insert and tried it out on my family. In those days for our family the Bunny cake was made the night before, after the kids went to bed so that when they woke up Easter morning the cake, decorated with jelly bean nose, coconut fur, and licorice whiskers would greet the sleepy crew. After that the egg hunt would ensure. Nowadays I don’t make the Bunny Cake, but my kids still do and even my granddaughter made it for my great-grandson Oliver this year. They even post pictures of them in a contest to see who’s is the prettiest. You might ask what this has to do with the real meaning of Easter. If our Easter Sunday consisted only of this sweet tradition I would pack it up along with new homemade Easter dresses, egg hunts and peeps. But with these traditions came a very important tradition of going to church to worship Jesus of the cross. Miraculously, after the cake is eaten, the plastic eggs and annoying Easter grass are put away we still have the glorious reality of a Risen Savior! I miss those days of the Easter Bunny Cake and the wide eyes that were convinced that the Easter bunny had baked it just for them. But hopefully, across this country in South Carolina, New York, California, Oregon Florida, North Carolina and here in Illinois where the Nihiser children and grandchildren are gathered, they go back in time to the decorated cake that was a backdrop for many Easter pictures and remember the love in our home but more so to remember the Savior who dwelt there also.

Happy Good Friday to my family! I love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment