Wednesday, October 10, 2012

The Great Hiccup Theory!

“But Doctor, I protested, I have this “hiccup theory”! It was at one of my last visits to doctors office before I gave birth to my second child. “I have this theory, I have hiccups up high at the same time I have hiccups down low”, I explained as I waved my hands to show how the hiccup musical would go. I think I am going to have twins. “No, no I only hear on heart beat so I am pretty sure that it is just one” he said with the smugness that only a man who had not had a baby could have. But …you know I have twin brothers, right?” “Yep but I still think there is just one” and with that his eyes went to the chart that he had been scratching my statistics on. “And oh, how about all this weight I have gained and the fact that that already I can hardly turn over in bed by myself!?  Without even glancing up he smugly proclaimed, “Too much pie and cake would be my best guess”!  A doctor has never came closer to death and survived!

When I got home Larry quickly asked, “What did the doctor say about the “ole” hiccup theory?”  Again, I pushed homicidal thoughts from my  hormonally challenged mind.    I reluctantly told him that the doctor had shot down my theory and that I was having just one.” “See I told you it was just one” he gloated. I had no choice to back away from the idea of twins but I just couldn’t completely forget that I had prayed for twins (crazy I know).

As predicted, right on my due date we made out trek to the hospital to have my baby and while I was in labor my mind went to the matters at hand and I gave “twins” no more thought.

As they wheeled me into delivery room I was sure a single birth was what I would have but as I delivered my sweet baby girl, the nurse noticed that there was another one hanging around in there. I was so glad they noticed! And low and behold the “hiccup theory” was right, out came my second baby girl. Surprising all concerned, I delivered two healthy baby girls.

The doctor went to the waiting room with the news to Larry.  "I have good news and bad news", he said. Confused, Larry wondered what he meant when he explained. “The good news, I will only charge you for delivering one, bad news there are two!” I wish I could have been there to see Larry’s face as he was given that news.

They bundled us up and wheeled us out to the nursery where I found their Daddy murmuring about two of everything but it wasn’t long before he stood pointing at my “hiccup girls” and proudly claiming the two wrinkled babies wrapped tightly in pink bearing the names, twin 1 and twin 2 as his own twin girls.

From that day until now my heart has been filled with gratitude to God for these two wonderful girls who arrived unexpectedly (by some) on this day 40 years ago. One of my favorite scriptures always make me think of these two wonderful women.


 Happy Birthday Twin 1 and Twin 2! I love you so much Kelly and Nealy my hiccup theory!


I thank my God every time I remember you. In all my prayers for all of you, I always pray with joy because of your partnership in the gospel from the first day until now, being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus. Philippians 1:3-6
 

1 comment:

  1. A mama is (almost) ALWAYS right! And one of my childhood friends claims those same verses for an infant son that she lost around a year of age - it's a very special passage.

    ReplyDelete