Monday, August 13, 2012

The Day I Became a Mom!






I remember opening my eyes early in the morning on this day over 40 years ago and realizing that I was a mother! I had delivered my first daughter in the wee hours of the morning and as was common back then, "baby" was shuffled off to the nursery so the new mother could sleep and sleep I did. About the time I was thinking of getting up to go see my baby, in came the nurse pushing a cart with a little pink miracle wrapped so tightly that she could hardly move. The nurse was no more in the room than she was summoned by another nurse to lend a hand in another room. I lay there, hearing those newborn noises that for awhile were quiet and soft but eventually grew to a full lung cry. At that, every cell in my body stood to attention as motherhood coursed through my veins. I got to my feet, feeling woozy but I was not to be stopped. My baby needed me! I took the little bundle in my arms and a sound came from my lips that I had not heard before,




it was the sounds of a mother. My body swayed and jiggled this little one until she was quiet, like I had been doing it all my life. How right she felt in my arms, how close to heaven I felt as I held her. Where did this love come from I wondered? How could this little being so quickly be such a part of me? As my eyes filled with tears I turned my eyes upward to the Author and Creator of love and thanked him for my little Christa Leigh! That would only be the first of many times motherhood would course through my veins at the sound of her cry. My heart would reach out to my child in need and break as her heart was broken. Many times I would look upward to petition the Lord on her behalf but more often I would thank him for blessing me so abundantly with this child. Happy Birthday Christa!


No comments:

Post a Comment