Saturday, August 4, 2012

Our Voice!



My daughter wrote this on her Facebook page about our place in the political process. I tend to be too timid in my approach remembering the old saying: "Never talk about politics or religion". But I believe that in this time in our history, we as Christians, are called to do more. Kelly wrote some very wise thoughts on this subject. Did I mention how proud I am of Kelly? She is the writer that I wish I could be and she knows how to put her thoughts in ways that bring understanding. Yey, Kel! I love you so much






I am a firm believer that people, and dare I say all people, should discuss and engage in political conversations about the important issues of our day. One of my biggest disappointments is when I hear Christians say that God is in control, “so just pray.” I lobby in local, state, and federal government and see first-hand how policy has a powerful impact on our daily lives. So discussion is, from my view, important. Discussing or debating means you are listening and deliberating and talking about the merit of your views as well as opposing points.

But I have observed that the following are the fastest ways for people to dismiss your views and shut down conversation:
1. When you blindly stick by your party/party leaders on every issue, making overly-simplistic statements designed to target your opposition. Those usually come in the form of one-liners or memes. Let’s be honest, no matter your political affiliation, your party doesn’t get it right every time. Not by a long-shot. If you really want to be heard, don’t pretend otherwise. It makes you look ignorant.
2. When you assume that you have the moral and biblical edge over the “other” party. Both parties are guilty of this. Let’s face it. We all vote the way we do because we believe we are morally and/or biblically justified in doing so. I have strong political views; don’t misunderstand. But, I have best friends who voted opposite me in the last election, and I have every confidence that they voted their consciences. Why? Because I have asked why they came to the conclusion that they came too. Each of us comes from different backgrounds and experiences that shaped us and cause us to place a higher value on one issue over another. It is better to keep moral superiority out of the argument and simply talk about why you believe your views are better for the country. I know; I am dreaming, but I see this as a huge contributer of problem at the moment.
3. When you make sloppy and polarizing generalizations about conservatives/liberals. I see this done every day on facebook and in the media. I recently read an incredibly irresponsible article written by a group of Christians that put believers into two camps: orange and green. It clearly meant to make one camp superior over the other. These articles only serve to cause a greater divide. You are not morally superior because of the way you vote! God will not be asking your party affiliation in heaven. Sorry to disappoint.
4. When you don’t listen! Oh some of us pretend to listen; but are we? I am not advocating for weak-minded, wishy washy beliefs, but listening, truly listening, isn’t a threat to your views. It usually makes your case stronger, and it helps you to become a more rounded individual, with the ability to see beyond your own reality and at least respect the other, even if you don't change your own views. Again, listening doesn’t mean you will change your views on the issues. It means you don’t vilify others for theirs. This is a problem equally shared by both parties. Neither seem to want to listen.
5. When you forget that a two party system is what has made this country great! We need checks and balances. I was blessed to come from a Christian home with parents whose vote cancelled out the other. They voted differently most of their married lives, though recently that has not been the case. I learned that two of the most amazing Christians I know voted opposite each other. Both cared about the country but disagreed on some of the ways it should be governed.

So Christians, be active! Don’t be afraid to make your views known. Your voice is vitally important. But respect the views of others and the experiences that shaped them, so that your voice can be heard and others don’t immediately shut you down.

No comments:

Post a Comment