Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Big Fishin' Shoes!








A few days ago I got a text from Nicholas. The first text said “Do you guys want to go fishing with me today?” I explained that Dad couldn’t and fully expected that the prospect of taking a GIRL, especially an old GIRL would bring these plans to a screeching halt. But instead, I got “Pick you up in a little while, wear old shoes”. As I hunted for my old shoes I thought about those times I took he and his brother Garrick fishing when they were just little guys. I remember packing PB sandwiches and heading out for the bait shop. Usually they were more interested in the minnows in the big tank and the fancy lures in the showcase window than some boring old worms. I fretted over them at times when they got too close to the water and it seemed I spent a good bit of time putting worms and minnows on the hook as well as replacing hooks that got tangled in the brush. Often I would tell them where to throw in because I had seen a lot of jumping fish in that area or I had been getting bites there. All in all it was worth the trouble to see their faces as they pulled a fish out the water usually flinging it so far we had to look for it in the brush. I would laugh and applaud and brag on their catch even if it was just a couple of inches long. I remember once being surprised as applause broke out in chorus, as those fishing along the bank near us, encouraged these two little fishermen and applauded their success. Hmmm? What did I do with my old fishing shoes?


As promised my “fishin’ buddy” was there in a little while and we were off. This time it was he who grabbed the bait and put it in the back of his pickup with all the other gear. When we got to a little lake in Charleston, Illinois, we had to park a ways from where we were fishing so this strong twenty five year old tried to carry EVERYTHING. I was surprised that he didn’t fling me over his shoulder (well, maybe he's not that strong). He hung a chair over one shoulder, grabbed buckets, our poles and only after I begged would he let me carry the tackle box. His reasoning was that the hill was steep and he was afraid I would lose my balance. “Hmmmf, You’d think I was old and feeble” I grumbled to myself. I soon found out why the caution as I made my way down the steep bank to our fishing place. I too could imagine the worse! Did you ever see an old lady run down a hill, TOTALLY, UNINTENTIONALLY? “Be careful” he warned “Don’t get too close to the water, it‘s slippery down here!”. Hmmm, where had I heard that before? “Oh, and watch where you step there are snakes around here!” he cautioned as he began to unfold my comfy chair. The sun was hot that day but there was a wonderful breeze that kept us cool. We talked the hours away, mostly me telling “fish tales” of the past. He was as excited as I was when I caught my first fish al be it very small. And guess what? I flung it so hard I had to go look for it in the bush behind me. We both laughed. I applauded him when he caught a nice sized catfish. Not wanting to let the day end, I tried to hide the fact that I was getting tired. “Whenever you are ready to go, we can go” he asked. “I’m fine” I would assure him. But after a long time with no bites, we grabbed our stuff and headed out. I was red, I was tire and I had worm guts on my hands but I was happy! We got a bite to eat (after I washed my hands!) and he took me home.


As I drifted off to sleep I thought about the circle that I had just been apart of that day. I thought of how it seemed urgent to me to share my “fish tales” to this wonderful young man. Many times in the bible we read about passing our heritage to the next generation. As we shared “fish tales”, I hope I passed on to Nicholas my love and God’s love for him. The desire of my heart is to leave foot prints for those who come after me. Even though my old fishin’ shoes are pretty big and leave a big print, I hope all who come after may see!


I love you Nicholas Drew, thank you for a wonderful day! I am so proud of the wonderful man you have become!


Now that I am old and gray, do not abandon me, O God. Let me proclaim your power to this new generation, your mighty miracles to all who come after me. Psalm 71:18


No comments:

Post a Comment