Saturday, June 18, 2011

"A Weed's Life"

Photo by Allison Smith






This morning we took advantage of the cool temperature and worked in our garden. With my newly sharpened hoe, I started to chop away at the million little weeds that had taken up residence there. Anytime I hoe weeds I always think about my grandma and how she loved to garden. I remember her telling me never to hoe in the evening because the cool of the night allowed the weeds to take hold again. As a child, I imagined these little green fella's jumping up while we slept and replanting themselves. (That might be a great theme for a movie). Grandma preferred morning because the heat of the sun would kill the roots of weeds so they could not replant and require another weeding a day or two later.

Sometimes sin, hate or disobedience in our life is that way! We feel sorry for it, we really want to get rid of it, we know that this is not the will of God so we ask Him to forgive us but we never really let the light of God purge it from our hearts. In the privacy of our dark thoughts we replant those bitter weeds!

I find that if I avoid reading His word, stay away from church, and spend no time in prayer I can be pretty well assured that those weeds that God uprooted will take root again. Instead of listening to the prompting of the spirit I can have a dialogue of my own it goes something like this: After all, I can conclude, "it's okay to hate my neighbor look what they did to me". Maybe I can even excuse myself from gossiping thinking that "the TRUTH needs to get out"! Doesn't it? We can justify just about anything if we do not hold it up in light of God's will and Satan thrills to the thought of sins forgiven, taking root again. He is even more thrilled for us to believe God is unable to forgive our sins! Aren’t they too bad for even God to forgive? How silly would it be for me to go out and try to rescue those weeds I chopped out of my garden and try to claim they were never uprooted from their places at all. Sins like weeds if left unattended can take over a life like weeds take over a garden so as the “Master Gardener” uproots your sins and forgives you make sure to let the Son shine with a light that only he can give.





Maybe I should write a story about those weeds replanting themselves, I could entitle it “A WEED’S LIFE”.

No comments:

Post a Comment