Sunday, June 19, 2011

The Man My Kids Call Dad!






What Father’s Day card could ever express the gratitude and love I feel for the man who my kids call Dad. Though his own father died when he was less than two years old, he knew he wanted to be a good dad. He changed diapers, fed babies in the middle of the night and shoveled baby food into open mouths, he called “sparrow mouths“. I remember when the first of five daughters came, he went from being a man who used the words "I love you" very sparingly, to one who couldn't say it enough. With those "I love yous" came tears that happened every time he talked of his kids and is true to this day! But along with this wonderful tenderness came a resolve to give them what they needed and in his mind what they needed most was the Lord! Sundays, Sunday nights, Wednesday nights and any time the doors were open at church we would be there. If there was a teen activity he got them to church, though sometimes he wasn't sure where the money would come from. Even when I started working on Sundays he would load everyone up and go to church! The girls still talk about the good times they had talking about “life” as they went to and from church.

There was several times when he could have advanced in his job, to easier jobs but turned it down because it would have meant working a different shift and being away from his family. He always wanted to be there for them and didn't mind sacrificing to accomplish that! In fact he never considered it a sacrifice but a privilege.

Now, our kids are grown, and they have kids of their own (who are wonderful) but they will never out grow the love that this wonderful man has for them.





I praise our heavenly Father for putting His love into this man who my kids call Dad!

Happy Father's Day my sweet Larry

No comments:

Post a Comment