Friday, June 17, 2011

Hootie Creek, Hootie Creek, Hootie Creek!



As I looked through some of my favorite recipes on AOL, I came across a recipe that I loved. The name of it is Hootie Creek Cranberry cookies (Gift in a Jar). I loved the name as well as the recipe. Just try saying Hootie Creek a few times, it just makes me happy letting it roll off my tongue! The recipe is wonderful also, its a cookie packed with dried cranberries, macadamia nuts and to top it off….white chocolate chips! It seems since I have been trying to eat healthy foods, my eyes are always wondering off to some delicious recipe or other forbidden foods. How could I be happy with lettuces, carrots and lean turkey when my heart pleads for Hootie Creeks?

I am not the first person to desire what I do not have, and the bible is a good place to find a good many of them. If we think of David, he had everything he needed or wanted but he looked on what he didn’t have, another man’s wife! Maybe one of the most well known was Eve! In the Garden of Eden, Adam and Eve had everything they needed, God had placed them in a paradise with beauty all around them. They could even talk with God in the evening but…..they wanted more. Eve looked upon what she couldn’t have and the devil lied to her saying you need just one more thing! She took and ate the forbidden fruit and we know how that turned out! How about those Israelites? They never fail to crack me up! If you read through Exodus in the bible we find that God parted the Red Sea and let them walk through on dry land, He provided water from a rock, they wore the same shoes for forty years and no one had to make a trip to Payless Shoes to get new ones. They trekked around the desert for forty years and their ankles didn’t even swell. So you would think they would trust God to provide food for them but they grumbled and did not trust Him even after all he had provided so miraculously for them. How patient God had to be toward these bellyachers! So God provided an omer (about 2 quarts) of manna! This was really a “Gift in a Jar” but they wanted meat like they had in Egypt. They even longed to be back in Egypt where they suffered great oppression, saying at least we had all we wanted to eat! So God provided quail in the evening. What unfailing love he has for us.

Like me, they had all they needed but they craved Hootie Creek Cookies! How God must love us to listen to our grumblings and see our lack of trust , yet sees fit to provide us with what we need and even throws in a Hootie Creek cookie once in awhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment