Friday, June 24, 2011

Hands Up!










Do you ever get discouraged over "unanswered" prayer? Have you prayed for something or someone for months or years without an obvious answer? I know I have and still do! I have had many prayers answered "yes" some "no" but many prayers have a big "wait" stamped across them! As I go to prayer I often start by saying "Lord, I lift this to you". At times I even lift my open hands as a gesture of giving my burden to Him.



As I thought of this today, my mind went to Moses! I found the scripture in Exodus 17, that tells how the Amalekites came to attack the Israelites and Moses told Joshua to choose some men to fight. Moses also told Joshua that while they were fighting Moses would be at the top of the hill with the staff of God in his hands. You might remember the staff of God that Moses used to show power during the plagues in Egypt, to part the sea, and to bring water forth from a rock in the desert. The staff represented God’s faithfulness. So Joshua did as he was told and prepared for war against the Amalekites.. Moses, Aaron and Hur (his sister Miriam's husband) went to the top of the hill as they had promised. As long as Moses held the staff with his hands in the air, the Israelites would be winning the battle but when he became tired and lowered his hands they would begin to lose. So Aaron and Hur sat him down on a rock and one on each side of him, held his hands up until the battle was won.

As we pray, make no mistake, we too are at battle! We do battle against the Satan who wants to defeat us, especially as we pray for some lost soul. That is when we, like Moses, need to lift our hands to God in prayer, knowing the power we hold in our hands. We need to pray without ceasing and keep our burdens lifted up even if we need to call someone to come along side us when we become weary.

So, "hands up," my brothers and sisters in Christ the victory is ours if we only stay steady! Invite the Savior to do battle for you as you pray and lift your hands in praise!

No comments:

Post a Comment