Monday, April 26, 2010

This is the Day!

This the Day

As I headed out of the door this morning I asked my dog Daisy if she wanted to go pray. Daisy not only wagged her tail she wagged her whole body because she knew what that meant. Well….. Not exactly what that meant, to her, the other two dogs and the two cats it meant yeh we are going out in the grass to sit next to her while she does whatever she does. I usually take my coffee, my bible and my burdens out to a favorite chair that I sit in that I call my PRAYER chair. It’s a place where I can raise my hands in praise to him or shout what burdens my heart that particular day. Through these years it has been a special place where the Lord and I could meet. During the winter I long for that place but settle for my “inside” prayer chair.
Today as I sat listening to the wind blow and watched the patient crew that followed me out side, I became aware of two birds flitting around in the trees in front of me. If birds could smile I know they probably were smiling. I don’t think I heard one complaint about how bad the winter had been or that they barely made it through because of the short supply of food. They weren’t discussing those crazy kids of theirs that flew the nest way before they were ready, or their husbands who didn’t clean the nest the way they thought it should be. No, they were in the moment! The breeze was warm, the food supply was overflowing and I even heard talk of how slow the worms were today. I thought about that and how good it would be to be a carefree bird in the trees. Then I thought about how God had not made me a bird, but he made me like himself. He gave me a memory of hard times that he had gotten me through and good times that I will always cherish . He wanted me to learn from my past but also to make everyday a new day the same way the birds of the air do. He wanted me to know “want” and “plenty” and to make me content in whatever state I am in. He gave me His heart but he gave me a free will. He gave me His Son! He tells me in His word that even a sparrow does not fall that he doesn’t know about it and also tells me how much more important I am that this sparrow. Great is my God!
As me and the crew of critters headed for the house I was so grateful that I could know the heart of God, but as the birds this morning sing, I sing “ This is the day the Lord has made, let me rejoice and be glad in it!”

1 comment: