Monday, April 26, 2010

Sleepless!

Have you ever composed a letter or email while you are supposed to be sleeping? I go to bed tired and ready to sleep only to have my eyes pop open and my mind kicks into high gear. Forget counting sheep, I try to fix things in my mind as I lay there in the dark. I often rehearse speeches that I need to give someone, or compose a letter, or email that I think needs to be sent to "straighten" someone out. I can say anything in my letter or email, I can tell someone how they hurt me or disappointed me, or how I think they should handle a situation. I do this a lot when I have talked with someone and said afterward "Boy I should have said this or said that. If I could do that again I would tell them a thing or two“. There are many times that I know I should have said something wonderful to someone or shown my appreciation more or let them know how much I love them. I write those kinds of letters too but those kind of letters usually bring me peace instead of tossing and turning because my mind is thinking good thoughts. I know that I should write more thank you notes not only to those people but to the Lord for his patience with me. I love the bible verse in Philipians that says "Finally brothers whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right , whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy think about such things. Phil 4:8-9. This reminds me that before I write those letters I ask God if what I am wanting to tell someone is true, noble, right, lovely, admirable, excellent or praiseworthy. Is it kind? Many sleepless nights could have been peaceful nights if I filtered my thoughts through this glorious truth. Lord, help me to use Phil 4:8-9 as a model of how to think, even in the middle of the night. Night all! I hope I don't start blogging in the middle of the night!

2 comments:

  1. We studied this verse yesterday at Bible Study. And I, too, often will write letters or e-mails but many of them are never sent. I guess it's more of a therapy for me than anything else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree it is therapy for me too and luckily they never get sent. I'm sure I would benefit from filtering everything through this scripture. But sometimes it feels good to vent. Thanks for writing Erika!

    ReplyDelete