Thursday, September 17, 2020

Grand Entrance

It was a beautiful day for a wedding, I thought to myself as I got ready that morning. I had a new dress and new shoes that I was anxious to wear, I had applied my makeup just so and had prepared my head by placing bobby pins in strategic places for what I was about to put on it. I had recently bought a new wig which was popular back in the 70s. The wig wasn’t unlike my own hair, short, brown but with an ever so slight curl along the hairline. I plopped it on and was ready to go meet my day. The wedding was held in a tiny country church with just a few friends and family in attendance. The ceremony was very short and we were instructed to meet in the church basement for the reception. As everyone else, I headed for the steep stairs that led to a rather musty smelling basement. Taking it slow because of the high heels I wore to match my new dress I made the journey down to the scantily decorated basement with a small cake and a bowl of punch. As I descended I was soon to embark on one of the most embarrassing moments in my life. Even now I blush at the thought. As I ducked slightly to get through the door, there was an unfortunate nail planted at the top of the door jam and you guessed it, I walked right out from under my perfectly coiffed wig! As the cool musty air of that church basement assaulted my bobby pin-clad, wigless head, I looked and saw brown curls hanging from that obnoxious nail. The blood drained, it seemed, from my face and humiliated wouldn’t describe how I felt. Mortified might be closer. There was my “grand entrance” alright. Alas, my new dress, my perfectly applied makeup, or my new shoes did not matter. All eyes were focused on the dangling mop of artificial hair. One “jokester” even commented that someone had been scalped. Since that day I have not made any more grand entrances. No standing at the top of the staircase as onlookers observe my beauty, I have had no Cinderella reveals as I danced with the prince. Dressed in a clown suit for Vacation Bible School came as close to a grand entrance as I have ever known. But did you know that it is written that we will have our grand entrance into heaven the eternal Kingdom? I just read that in the bible today for the first time. In 2 Peter 1:11 we are told that God will give us the grandest of all grand entrance when we arrive. Then God will give you a grand entrance into the eternal Kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. 2 Peter 1:11 NLT So after our race is run and our journey is finished not only do we have a home that He has prepared but He is also planning for our Grand Entrance. Will there be a marching band of angels or a full orchestra of celestial beings to welcome us? I do know that it will be minus pesky nails since it will be a perfect place.

No comments:

Post a Comment