Wednesday, September 16, 2020

A Mary Heart

Contemplative! According to the dictionary, it is allowing deep thought, usually devotion to religious thought and prayer. A little lofty I’d say but after taking a little quiz as to what kind of worshiper I am it was decided I am a contemplative worshiper. According to the breakdown of this conclusion, I love God best through adoration. I love to sit and be in His presence while others may feel compelled to serve. I love the scripture that says, “Be still and know that I am God”. So far all true! I like David desire to dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life. They give a biblical example of a contemplative in Mary of Bethany who sat at Jesus’ feet while her sister Martha with great irritation, prepared the meal alone. Poor Martha! Oh, how we need Marthas in our world but where do we “Marys” fit in? If Martha were to take the test where would she fall, I wonder. In our house, I am of course Mary, and my poor husband is definitely a male version of Martha all the way to his ever-ready bunny energy. As I raised all my kids I was a hard worker and pretty good housekeeper, but in my older years not so much. I hope you don’t think of me as slothful, I get done what needs to be done but my opinion about what that is these days has changed. In my younger Martha years, I could very proudly pass the white glove test even with a house full of youngins but today as we dismantled our bathroom for redecorating the white glove would be very unwelcomed. I found dirt on top of the medicine cabinet that dates back twenty years, I’m sure. It wasn’t until I retired did my “Mary” come out. I found a place in the back that I went to study, pray, and worship. And worship I did. I prayed, sang and raised my hands in adoration. I called this old wooden chair I sat in, my prayer chair and from this, I started to write a blog with that name. I began to write about my precious Lord and His blessings to me in my “Prayer Chair” blog. As I contemplated all that He has done for me words that I felt came from Him, began to make their way down through my fingers into a story. So where does a “Mary” fit in this Martha world? I wonder sometimes. As I write in my contemplative way I hope to help someone along the way. If only one Mary can feel validated or one Martha feels appreciated I have given to this world from God’s own heart. My prayer as these fingers fly across the keyboard of my computer is I can bring glory to my Lord first and foremost and maybe spread a little joy from my “Mary” heart! Oh, it would be nice if all the dust in my “Mary” house would disappear! The one thing I ask of the Lord — the thing I seek most— is to live in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, delighting in the Lord ’s perfections and meditating in his Temple. Psalms 27:4 NLT

No comments:

Post a Comment