Saturday, July 18, 2020

It’s comical what people say when you have a big family.  Inevitably when I was pregnant someone would say, “You do know what causes that, don’t you” or “is this your last one?’ or the one that sticks out the most, is a person who told us it was wrong to bring kids into this crazy world.  Unfortunately at that time, God was being taken out of schools, drug abuse was rampant and racial tensions were escalating.  In those years, a gospel song came out written by Bill and Gloria Gaither entitled, “Because He Lives”.  Gloria Gaither, having just given birth to her third child, testified that her heart was troubled for her newborn and the world that he came into. According to her recounting this period in her life, she said peace came into her heart one evening as she pondered the times, and replaced the fear as the God-given phrase came to her mind “because I live you can face tomorrow”.  From this encounter with God, came the song.  Peace replaces turmoil and fear as this song penetrates the hearts of believers all over the world.  Because He lives I can face tomorrow.

After getting a full dose of the daily depravity of this world on social media, seemingly even worse than in the past, I came across this song once again.  The words rang true in my soul, “Because He lives, I can face tomorrow because He lives all fear is gone.  Just as the promise of God’s love and care found in this hymn of the church encouraged us back then raising our family, now in our “golden years” His truths are still giving us hope as we watch these unsure days unfold.

Because He lives, I can face tomorrow
Because He lives all fear is gone
Because I know He holds the future
And life is worth the living just because He lives

Even when I walk through the darkest valley, I will not be afraid, for you are close beside me. Your rod and your staff protect and comfort me.
Psalms 23:4 NLT

The Lord is my light and my salvation— so why should I be afraid? The Lord is my fortress, protecting me from danger, so why should I tremble?
Psalms 27:1 NLT

No comments:

Post a Comment