Saturday, July 11, 2020

Come And Dine

Come and Dine

With our renewed interest in our bird feeding this year, we have kept a close eye on our efforts.  We have fed all kinds of birds this season, Baltimore oriole, Indigo bunting , and for a few days a dazzling rose-breasted grosbeak. Goldfinches have visited along with the garden variety of sparrows , house finches and our tiny hummingbird. There is one that we particularly try to entice to our feeders, the beautiful cardinal , but they don’t seem all that interested in our fancy food or feeders.  They land in the trees near our variable buffet of goodies but will only partake on what is left on the ground.  They pick through the shells that are already opened or grab an occasional loose seed that has been dropped during the voracious eating of our other feathered friends.  As I sat watching the bird feeders this morning, I thought of this common yet beautiful bird dining on scraps instead of the feast before him.  But then, I see myself doing the same thing.  In my studying of the bible, I sometimes skim over the very real and promising words found there but soak up the scraps and ramblings that declare doom and gloom to our country and world.  I rummage through the leftovers of the satan driven media only to chew on worry and dread as the world appears overrun by evil.  My heart, as the bible says, is troubled and even my joy hangs in the balance.  So what is there to do in this troubled world?  I say as I would say to the beautiful cardinal, LOOK UP!  Look up to God’s words of encouragement in what seems like a famine.  There is a veritable feast of hope found there.  We do not have to forage through leftovers but can dine on the “God Breathed” words found between the covers of the bible.  But come hungry!  There is a feast awaiting us if we come ready to be filled!

Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness for they shall be filled.  Matthew 5:6

“Don’t let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God, and trust also in me.
John 14:1 NLT

“I am leaving you with a gift—peace of mind and heart. And the peace I give is a gift the world cannot give. So don’t be troubled or afraid.
John 14:27 NLT

But now, O Jacob, listen to the Lord who created you. O Israel, the one who formed you says, “Do not be afraid, for I have ransomed you. I have called you by name; you are mine. When you go through deep waters, I will be with you. When you go through rivers of difficulty, you will not drown. When you walk through the fire of oppression, you will not be burned up; the flames will not consume you.
Isaiah 43:1‭-‬2 NLT

Sometimes the buffets at restaurants are not good for me because I tend to eat too much but the rich layout of morsels right from God’s own mouth is what we should be feasting on in these frightening times.  May the God of hope fill you with hope this day as you sit with Him and dine!

You prepare a feast for me in the presence of my enemies. You honor me by anointing my head with oil. My cup overflows with blessings. Surely your goodness and unfailing love will pursue me all the days of my life, and I will live in the house of the Lord forever.  Psalms 23:5‭-‬6 NLT

No comments:

Post a Comment