Friday, July 17, 2020

Cinderella?



Jeanie, Jeanie!  I heard the voice across the supermarket but didn’t recognize it until she came closer.  As I was dreading, the first thing she said to me was, “I didn’t recognize you” which made me wonder how she knew my name.  Knowing this person, I knew this was code for, you have aged and not well or maybe it was a slightly disguised effort to denote the weight that I had picked up.  No, no Jeanie, she didn’t…..!  Oh, yes, she did!  This woman has a reputation for spewing poison in the form of veiled kindness.  I had fallen victim more than once.  Why do some people feel a need to insult someone, even if it is backhanded and cloaked in sweetness?  But wait, you see the insulting continued when the “wicked stepsister #2” came up to let me know she didn’t recognize me until she saw me from behind!  What the heck does that even mean anyhow?

As I pondered this scene right from Cinderella, me being Cinderella, in this brief encounter I have to confess I didn’t hold much love in my heart.  There was a lot of “how dare shes” and “who does she think she is” was a common theme in this oneway conversation.  Then I was reminded, not by my fairy godmother but my Heavenly Father of an apology I had to make to a dear friend for something I said but I sincerely did not mean it the way it sounded.  Ever been there?  This dear one could have rejected my apology but in her grace-filled heart, she not only forgave me but told me she knew my heart was pure and would never hurt her intentionally. One of the greatest compliments I have ever received.  Why had I not shown that kind of grace toward the women who had offended me?   Today I went to the ball, clothed in God’s love and grateful for my sweet friend.  The “wicked stepsisters” are forgiven even if they don’t know it. They will when the prince finds whose foot fits the glass slipper.  I’m trying to visualize a size 9 in glass!


“Make allowance for each other’s faults, and forgive anyone who offends you. Remember, the Lord forgave you, so you must forgive others. Above all, clothe yourselves with love, which binds us all together in perfect harmony.”
‭‭Colossians‬ ‭3:13-14 NLT

No comments:

Post a Comment