Tuesday, July 7, 2020

Eyes Of A Child

Genius! PURE GENIUS!  I was impressed with our almost nine years old, grandson Kellan.  He constantly writes “books”, hundreds of books.  Some about superheroes, some about his cars, and some about movies he has watched.  A few days ago he showed me a book that displayed his handiwork of cars that he had designed.  He had not only drawn pictures of the back, front, and top of these cars but they were complete with stats on his drawings.  I was amazed at his creative genius.

I loved seeing all these words and pictures that flowed from his creative mind but I was blessed by him and my granddaughter, Evie’s handwritten devotional writing.  For the last couple of weeks, at different times I read my devotions to our four youngest grandkids I loved seeing their tender hearts toward God.  There is something to be said of a “captive audience”.  They loved the ones I wrote about them and they have given me much to write about.  After reading one of my “stories”, Kellan and Evie asked me how to write a story about God.  I gave them tips like, always start out with an interesting or compelling first sentence so the readers get a taste of what’s to come.  I told them to think of a subject or occasion to write about and then find scripture to match the thought or in some cases, the other way around.  God talks to me in many ways as I put together my writings.  After a brief lesson, they both decided to write about their pets, Croghan a beautiful Persian cat, and Lola a sweet designer dog.  Evie’s story that featured her dog Lola was about how she takes care of Lola and because of this care, how the sweet dog responds to her.  As we thought of this we came up with a scripture about how God in his love takes care of her.  We chose Matthew 6:30.

It is God that gives beautiful clothes even to the grass. One day the grass is growing in the field, but the next day people will cut it and burn it. God will certainly take care of you, much more than he takes care of the grass. You should trust him more than you do!
Matthew 6:30 EASY

Kellan’s devotion speaks of his beautiful cat Croghan who comforts him when he is sad or lonely.  I was proud of some flowery words he threw in to describe the purring cat that climbs up beside him when he needs him.  We picked out the familiar 23rd Psalm for his piece that spoke glowingly of his sweet cat.  He liked verse 4 of the inspirational Psalm.

Even when I walk through the darkest valley, I will not be afraid, for you are close beside me. Your rod and your staff protect and comfort me.
Psalms 23:4 NLT

Did you notice the two words in these verses, comfort, and care?  Two words that ring true in all of our lives whether an adult or a child.  What a blessing that even a child recognizes and yearns for these things and finds them in the Lord’s word.  I pray that they are always drawn to Him for very real needs they may face in life as they live in a sometimes scary world.  

As they grow into adults, my prayer is that they remember His words of comfort and care and maybe even remember the shared tips from their old grandma as they wrote their first devotional.

   

No comments:

Post a Comment