Saturday, June 20, 2020

Jailhouse Song

Jailhouse Song

In 1958 the “Jailhouse Rock” movie was released and even now I can see heartthrob Elvis Presley in his “prison-issued”, striped shirt with a  fashionable black jacket, dancing, and singing the lively tune. Unfortunately, the reality of a real prison is nothing like this scene.  Unfortunately, prison can mean many things to many people.  Many suffer the prison of depression, the prison of disease, or the prison of sin.  Rivaling Elvis, Paul, and Silas’ story is inspirational in so many ways. In Acts the 16th chapter, we read that Paul and Silas were beaten with rods for preaching the gospel.  They were thrown into the dark prison and put into the inner cell with their feet securely fastened with stocks.  Unimaginable suffering!  BUT at about midnight the courageous men of God began to pray and sing praises to the Lord.  I know the song “Amazing Grace” had not been written yet, but if it had been I think that is what they might have sung.  But hear this, verse 25 says, “and the other prisoners were listening”.  Today those words had a special meaning for me.  As my daughter, Missy has gone through chemo and stem cell transplant, and with all the side effects of that, I have documented her writings of great courage that she readily admits comes from the Lord.  On her most recent post on Facebook, she used the phrase “I got to break out of the hospital” which was for over three weeks a sort of “prison”.  She was in isolation and could not see her kids because her immunity was like that of a newborn baby and she had to be under the close eye of the doctors. The nursing staff commented that she seemed to have gotten every bad side effect that comes with the procedures, causing her great pain and discomfort, maybe comparable to Paul and Silas in that midnight hour.

She wrote;

Yesterday I got to break out of the hospital and finally hug my people!  My heart is so grateful to be done with that part of treatment and back together with my loves!

All the glory to God!!  Although I was separated from my family, My Lord was everpresent.  I called on His name more times in the last month than I can ever count and HE NEVER LET ME DOWN,,,He stood with me and made me strong.

Around midnight Paul and Silas were praying and singing hymns to God, and the other prisoners were listening.
Acts of the Apostles 16:25 NLT

As with Paul and Silas, other “prisoners” are listening!  The Bible tells us that in this world we will have suffering but He delights in us when we choose joy and trust Him in the midst of it.

As we read on in the account in Acts, miracles happened!

Suddenly, there was a massive earthquake, and the prison was shaken to its foundations. All the doors immediately flew open, and the chains of every prisoner fell off!
Acts of the Apostles 16:26 NLT

Many times, sin in our heart from being apart from God can be like these symbolic chains around our souls.  The Bible tells us that many found the Lord as their Savior that night including the jailer and his family.  It all started with joyful singing in the midst of remarkable pain.

As we face, as Missy, the sufferings of life remember the other “prisoners” are listening for our song at the midnight hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment