Tuesday, February 26, 2013

In His Image


 



Leonardo da Vinci ‘s painting “Mona Lisa” has always been a mystery to me, just because I find the image of this woman rather homely. I guess you would have to be an art lover to appreciate her “beauty”. I do, however, feel her pain, in that I am not the least bit photogenic myself! My eyes are closed, my mouth gaping or I am a blur because I moved. But in 1963 Mona came to Washington and thousands people gazed at the beloved image.

For many months now I have been looking up our family tree and have come across several pictures and portraits of my ancestors. To tell you the truth, they are posed much like ole Mona. They normally had no smile and look somewhat like they were in pain. But I’m sure the long hours of sitting for a portrait could take ones smile away rather quickly. I even learned that many times an artist would paint everything but the face in his shop so that the subject of his painting wouldn’t have to sit so long. That accounts for the faces without necks that I saw so frequently.

One of the pictures I found was quite precious to me. It was the picture of my grandmother Mary Helen Camp. As I have written about her before, if there was one thing I knew, it was that she loved me. I don’t remember when she died at 65 (my age) that anyone commented that she was too young to pass away but believe me I think she was way young, now that I am her age. Did she feel like me, and have lots of things she still wanted to do? I’m sure she did. I think of her often and especially now that I have arrived at this season of life. As I went through the few pictures I have of Grandma, I realized that the pictures look even more familiar to me now because I can see myself in them. These familiar images of her and her constant love, will be with me forever.

In my reading about
da Vinci ‘s painting, I found that it had to be restored because of vandals trying to destroy it with spray paint. In the same way we, being created in God’s image, was flawed by sin and had to be restored.  The only thing that could restore us to what God intended, was the blood of His one and only son, Jesus Christ!  Praise God!


So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them. Genesis 1:27

I wonder what ole Mona’s mug would look like with today’s technology? She might even have a smile!


 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment