Sunday, February 17, 2013

God's Word Is Alive And Active In Us!



The law of the Lord is perfect, reviving the soul. The statutes of the Lord are trustworthy,
making wise the simple. The precepts of the Lord are right, giving joy to the heart.
The commands of the Lord are radiant, giving light to the eyes…..By them is your servant warned; in keeping them there is great reward. Psalm 19:7-8, 11

One of the things that I wanted to do when I retired was get in the habit of studying the bible more. I had always read the bible but not with as much consistency as I wanted. Always before I was enthusiastically on for awhile and then regrettably off for awhile with no real commitment. More determined than ever, I made a real effort to do better once I retired. Once spring came that year, I found it so wonderful to study outside in the quiet of the early morning. I always gravitated to one old chair out there, that I called my “prayer chair”. It was there with a fresh cup of coffee, my bible and a few four legged friends I fell in love with scripture. “How had it taken so long”, I wondered as my heart was so blessed by the truth I found in wispy pages of my bible. Not only truth but love. These “God breathed” words make up a love letter to us from the Lord.

It was no longer a habit but an addicted to the wealth of information and truth found between the covers of that old bible of mine. Truth, Truth, Truth! The kind of truth that you don’t find on the 6:00 o'clock news. There I found hope, faith and love.

I read the other day that when FBI agents are taught to recognize counterfeit money, they don’t spend a lot of time learning about all the possible variation that could be manifested in a counterfeit bill, as one might think: they simply studied the REAL thing.

One of the Christian writers that I love, is Beth Moore. Her “studies” inspire me to dig deep into the bible to find answers to the questions of life. In her study “Believing God” she says we are to believe five things.

1. God is who He says He is.

2. God can do what He says He can do.

3. I am who God says I am.

4. I can do all things through Christ.

5. GOD’S WORD IS ALIVE AND ACTIVE IN ME.

I love that list, but I can only find those things by studying His WORD and making it come alive in me.

My sweet teenage granddaughter went to the alter last Sunday and as I joined her there to pray, I looked into that tear streaked face, and listened to her sincere pleading for a closer walk with God. I wanted so much to plant the love I found for scripture into her young soul but I could only admonish her to read her bible. I knew that she could only grow that love for herself by reading His words and taking them into her heart.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment