Sunday, February 10, 2013

Just An Old Girl, Blessed!

Evie, the latest baby that God has sent for me to love!



I remember one hot July sitting on our front porch, trying to keep cool with that occasion breeze that always graced that old porch. I must have been all of thirteen years old but I was thinking about my future, if you can imagine.

I prayed to God in a way that only a thirteen year could pray. I prayed I would find my Prince Charming, get married and have children. I tried to imagine falling in love with some “boy”, and I was sure he would be tall and handsome, like a movie star. I mentally planned my beautiful wedding with Hollywood flair. Just barely out of the, playing with dolls stage, I dreamed of having a cuddly new baby to love. In my thirteen year old brain it would be all so wonderful but at the same time I wondered if it would ever happen. Boys, at that time, were still a mystery and I was yet to go “steady” as some of my friends had. How could it ever be that I would ever have the things I dreamed about, I wondered that hot July day.

Today as I reflect on that day and even laughed a little, I praise God that those dreams did come true, those prayers were answered. I found my “Prince Charming”, I had many babies and grandbabies to love and the Lord has blessed me with His presence in my life. What more could a “girl” ask for?

For the last few months I have tried to forget how old I am this year but they keep sending me those dumb Medicare cards and that pesky AARP has jammed the postal system sending me propaganda. All in an effort to let me know that this year I turn sixty five! A far cry from that little girl of thirteen dreaming on her front porch.

Yet, in some ways, there is that thirteen year old inside me, who stands in amazement at the way God has blessed my life with his mercy and grace. How God even then had a plan for my life as the bible tells in Jeremiah.

For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Jeremiah 29:11

Even if you sit in the “ashes of a burned out life”, he still has a plan. Though you may be, as I am, decades away from that thirteen year old, He can still bless you if you ask Him into your life. For He knows the plans He has for you….!

I wonder what plans He has for this old “girl”? He has never failed me yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment